Author Topic: Charles Dixon or Dickson  (Read 382 times)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Dixon or Dickson
« on: Thursday 06 July 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
Ok researching an ancestor Charles Dixon or Dickson. Charles married Joan Little on the 9 September 1806 Canonbie , the daughter of Christopher Little and Janet Beatty who was born in Canonbie 1781 and died in Eskdalemuir 1847 . Charles the censuses says was born 1786 1781 etc . His memorial inscription supports his birth at 1781 however the Charles Dixon on another OPR for Eskdalemuir is not him
But the illegitimate son of a military officer . I know this because on various censuses 1841 through 1861 he is at Middleburn Eskdalemuir. Now the censuses state he was born at Eskdalemuir. His death in the MI is put at 1863 yet a 1862 death for a Charles Dixon is there at Eskdalemuir? . On his marriage entry it states he wax resident at Ettrick Selkirkshire however I tried searching for a OPR both there nothing at all Chris

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Dixon or Dickson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 July 23 22:31 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People only have one death recorded & that is 1862.  No age is given so have you downloaded the death cert which will give his parents names and mothers maiden name?

He is the only Charles Dixon/Dickson on the 1861 with a birthyear in the 1780's and a birthplace of Eskdalemuir

1851 his birthyear is 1786 but 1861 has it as 1781

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
Marriage & Banns.
(Because he stated he was a resident at Ettrick Selkirkshire, does not mean he was married there)

DIXON   CHARLES   JOAN LITTLE   05/09/1806   CANONBIE

DIXON   CHARLES   JOHAN /LITTLE    12/09/1806   ETTRICK

Children.

DIXON   JOHN   CHARLES DIXON/JOAN LITTLE    22/02/1807   CANONBIE

It looks likely that James is on the 1861 census
DIXON   JAMES   CHARLES DIXON/JEAN LITTLE    11/03/1820   ESKDALEMUIR

DIXON   JANET   CHARLES DIXON   17/10/1809   ESKDALEMUIR

There are other Di***on’s only father noted but I do not see another marriage in the County for a Charles.

1841 Middleburn, Eskdalemuir

DIXON   Charles   55   Agricultural Labourer   Dumfriesshire   
LITTLE   Jean   53      Dumfriesshire   
DIXON   John   22   Agricultural Labourer   Dumfriesshire   
DIXON   James   20   Agricultural Labourer   Dumfriesshire   

I guess this is the other Charles you mention. There is a note in the Kirk Session Records, dated 8 Nov 1780, which states that Betsy Dixon had brought forth a child. Charles Pasley, now residing in Lisbon was named as the father.

DIXON   CHARLES   BETTY DIXON    08/09/1780   ESKDALEMUIR

Why do you not think this is the correct Charles?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
First to Carole W yes I have t checked the entry yet it must mean the grace has the wrong date a year out

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:24 BST (UK) »
Colin I have all this information Charles and Joan are rebuked in the Kirk Session Minutes too . I know this is the right Charles as the Charles b 1781 at Eskdalemuir is the daughter of Betty Dixon as you mentioned there . A researcher looked at this not for me but came up with proof that Charles Dixon on that OPR b 1871 son of Betty was the illegitimate son of Sir Charles Pasley a British military officer therefore it can’t be mine because those censuses are my Charles

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 23 18:05 BST (UK) »
I think it may be worthwhile downloading that death cert.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 July 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
I will do thank you

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 July 23 09:35 BST (UK) »
Colin I have all this information Charles and Joan are rebuked in the Kirk Session Minutes too . I know this is the right Charles as the Charles b 1781 at Eskdalemuir is the daughter of Betty Dixon as you mentioned there . A researcher looked at this not for me but came up with proof that Charles Dixon on that OPR b 1871 son of Betty was the illegitimate son of Sir Charles Pasley a British military officer therefore it can’t be mine because those censuses are my Charles

Do you know what happened to that Charles?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 July 23 16:58 BST (UK) »
I’m sure the other illegitimate Charles died 1862 so but I’m not sure if he took on the famous fathers surname or not my Charles the 1862 death entry may not be him