Author Topic: William Currie Gasstown Dumfries  (Read 393 times)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Currie Gasstown Dumfries
« on: Thursday 06 July 23 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I’m researching William Currie of Gasstown. On his death entry 5 December 1890 Hawthorn Cottage Gasstown Dumfries his death entry signed by his son John Currie . He is said to have been 69 years old making his birth 1821 his death mentioned in one of the local newspapers  . His parents said to be William Currie a Miller to trade . Mother unknown . William the younger who died at Gasstown married Mary Ann Jardine b 1821 Johnstone Dumfriesshire d 22 April Rockhallhead near Torthorwald. They married 1842 Johnstonebridge . On several censuses 1851 they are at Holland Park Caerlaverock with their children in 1861 he is at Rockhallhead as a ploughman while Mary Ann is with the children at the Racks Torthorwald. In 1871 William a widower is at Lochrighead Cottage with his children. 1881 I’m not sure where he is . In 1841 I’m not sure where William or Mary Ann are but two William Curries are at Mousewald and Householm Dumfriesshire same age same north county . Finally only one OPR for a William Currie b 1821 Durisdeer parents William Currie Jean Menzies however I looked at this William Currie a different man in 1871 census he is at Enterkinfoot near Durideer and is single so wrong man Chris any help here greatly appreciated

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Currie Gasstown Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 July 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have looked at William Corrie the miller at Dalswinton mill, Kirkmahoe?
1841 census here.
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5902e720e9379091b1d110fc/william-corrie-1841-dumfriesshire-kirkmahoe-1789-?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
Yes I have thank you and on a later census he is at Galloway Street Dumfries the younger William censuses state born at Lochmaben I think this is his father born circa between 1787 to 1790

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 23 21:57 BST (UK) »
I think this is his father born circa between 1787 to 1790
That's what I was suggesting. I mis-understood that you were looking for his parents/ family.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:32 BST (UK) »
Yes Neale I looked at it William Currie the younger in censuses was stated to be born at Lochmaben. The father William Corrie the spelling can be interchangeable, according to 1841 census was born Dumfriesshire and was a Miller at Dalswinton Mill I have what I think is him on the 1851 census at Galloway Street Dumfries same wife named Ann Corrie similar ages one census says he was born 1787 other 1789 give or take five years the other mill close to there is New Abbey Mill 1851 census states he was a Mill Wright both work in a mill perhaps mistake in first census or second census different man just a coincidence? . Either way this is most likely William Corrie or Currie Sr .

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 23 23:30 BST (UK) »
If your think that William CORRIE (senior) in the census that I posted above is the correct father for your William (1821),  then .....
he was married to Anne DINWOODIE / DINWIDDIE (be aware - very numerous spellings for this name).
The William CORRIE – Anne DINWIDDIE Marriage was in 1806 in Troqueer.

There are baptisms for 3 children: John (1825 Dunscore), Janet (1828 Dunscore) and Adam (1832 Kirkmahoe)

Death for Ann (DINWIDDIE) CORRIE in 1863 Troqueer , age 77. (mother – THORBURN)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 July 23 23:31 BST (UK) »
These are possibly other children of William CORRIE and Ann DINWOODIE (based on death certs):

Marion CURRIE born abt 1810 Dumfries (married John AITKEN 1836 Dumfries) died 23 Oct 1895 Colvend.
1841 census     https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59034d37e9379091b1492a79/marion-aitken-1841-kirkcudbrightshire-troqueer-1809-?locale=en
1851 census – this family is in Lochrutton (Carswadda farm). Sister Janet Corrie is visiting.

Elizabeth CURRIE born abt 1807, died 1896 Kirkpatrick Juxta

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 July 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Neale my only thing is does my William Currie the younger b 1821 Lochmaben fit as a sibling of William Corrie children considering people moved around records ie births baptisms can be lost and names can be spelt differently?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 July 23 19:10 BST (UK) »
The only way to know would be to research the other siblings and acquire some certificates. It really depends on how curious you are, and how much work you are prepared to do.  :)