Author Topic: 1863 arrival of the Orient in South Australia (SA) - original document?  (Read 395 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1863 arrival of the Orient in South Australia (SA) - original document?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
Was the "Orient" chartered by the South Australia emigration agent to carry passengers to Adelaide, or did the "Orient" arrive in Adelaide with emigrants who were not part of the sponsored emigration scheme?

The South Australia Archives records for ships, 1863,  only four named, and chartered by the government.

The newspaper articles, and quoting the government agent in London,  sound as though the ships have already left. I think the agent is identifying ships that have been considered and followed through to some stage of contractural commitment...but not finalised?
It names the Sir John Lawrence, but that ship arrived 19 Dec 1863.

No sixth ship, and no record for "Orient" in the archives. I think "Orient" was not part of government scheme, 1863, but brought emigrants....as?.....unassisted passengers?

The ships arrival, and passengers, would not have same interest to the government as would contracted voyages, so would be like any other ship arrival.

Having said that, and assuming that a government sponsored voyage would carry many more passengers (eg 200), than listed for the "Orient", the small number of passengers on the "Orient" list might be the total. It is not an emigrant ship, it is a commercial voyage.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 July 23 09:18 BST (UK) »

I think the "Orient" would have recorded very little information about passengers.

Are you interested in using this forum to advance your research about your person of interest.

We might be able to assist.

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 July 23 12:30 BST (UK) »
This is a very good point, and makes sense as to why SA Archives (for example) doesn't list the Orient in its collection.

I just found a few other resources about the Orient line (not specifically related to passengers), and it seems to have been under the P&O company (until a later acquisition). Skim reading the results does seem to suggest it was a commercial passenger ship and not part of the government scheme.
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 July 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sone digitised passenger lists to SA are online that I have accessed in the past.  But not the Orient.

https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/finding-information/discover-our-collection/migration-and-crew/passenger-lists-1845-1940

Essie