Author Topic: Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?  (Read 855 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?
« on: Friday 07 July 23 13:34 BST (UK) »
I am researching this couple for a friend. On a birth certificate for a son in 1931, the marriage date is stated as 14 March 1923 in Kilmarnock but I can find no reference to it on the Scotland's People indexes. They appear to have had 6 children, several of whom have Andrews as their middle name. On the 1931 certificate father Andrew was a ploughman of Bellsland Cottage.

We have obtained a 1983 death certificate for an Andrew Skilling aged 78; this man was born 1904, of 35 Annanhill Avenue, was an engineer/turner and married to Margaret Wilson; son of Robert Skilling blacksmith and Margaret née Campbell. Informant Alexander son of same address. I have obtained the 1927 marriage certificate of Andrew and Margaret confirming his parents. So probably this is not the couple, although they did have some similar named children so I am sure they are part of the same extended Skilling family.

There are newspaper entries in 1942 for a Sarah Skilling with daughter Agnes of 22 Limekiln Rd, Saltcoats and in 1946 for an Andrew Skilling of 64 Annanhill Avenue whose wife [Mrs Skillen no forename] represented him in court. She says they have 6 children one a 14 yr old boy [this could be the 1931 birth]. An Andrew Skilling of this address was the informant on his father Robert's, widow of Margaret Campbell, death certificate in 1961. I cannot confirm if either of these people in the newspapers are the same as the parents of my friend's father. 

I have several records for a Sarah McDonald Andrews, who first married Benjamin Thomson widowed lace weaver in Aug 1923. She appears as mother, formerly married to Benjamin Thomson, of Agnes K Skilling born 1925 who married Thomas Nimmo Lawson in 1946 [he died in 1976] with her father stated as Andrew Skilling ploughman deceased. [Added: One of the witnesses was Sarah Thomson. All parties of Sharphill Cottage, Saltcoats]. An Agnes K Lawson with mother’s maiden name of Andrews died in 2012. So it appears that Sarah McDonald Andrews IS the woman who had a family with Andrew Skilling, but did they actually marry?

The Andrew Skilling who died in 1943 was single, of Knockielaw Rd, aged 30, no occupation given, son of Andrew Skilling gardener and Rose Ann Simpson, informant brother Alexander. 

I do have other images I have downloaded from SP so further information. If anyone is descended from this couple, is related to the wider family or can shed any light on the inconsistencies I would be extremely grateful. What other resources can I go to to further this research?

Please PM me if you have information about living people.

Thank in advance, Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
A Sarah Andrews Skilling was b St Quivox 1926 & died Kilmarnock 1926.   Was she one of the 6 children you mention above?

Between 1919-1950 I can only see 3 entries in Ayr with a second name Andrews 1926/27/31.  There is a 1937 birth but second name is Andrew

Presumably others didn't have Andrews as a second name

In the absence of a marriage - it looks like they never married for whatever reason
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes the St Quivox Sarah b 1926 is one of the children. Agnes b 1925, then as you say, males 1927, 1929 & 1931 [latter now deceased in England, my friend's father]. There is another male born 1936 in Springburn who has middle initial A & MMN Andrews.[ADDED: Springburn is where Sarah's family lived]. The names of all of these 5 have been mentioned as siblings in the family but as 1931 son left home very early contact has been lost. We maybe need to fund a couple of these birth certificates to see if the parents' marriage date is consistent.

ADDED: But yes I think maybe they didn't marry, but without a marriage certificate how can I find out who Andrew's parents are?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Death on SP for Sarah McDonald Andrews/Johnstone/Shilling 1973 Kilmarnock aged 72.
If the correct Sarah she has married Peter Johnstone 1948 Kilmarnock (Ayr).

The Valuation Rolls 1940 give Andrew Skilling at Southhook Cottages, Dreghorn and another Andrew Skilling at 64 Annanhill Avenue, Kilmarnock (Ayr).
hmcc.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 23 15:46 BST (UK) »
I was going down the same route.

ANDREWS
SARAH MCDONALD
MCDONALD
F
615 / 292
STEVENSTON

John

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:02 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful, thanks both.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:02 BST (UK) »
Sarah McDonald had 3 registrations when marrying Peter. Just wondering about the Thomson one. Whether just a coincidence there is an Andrew Skilling born 1905 with mmn Thomson?

JOHNSTONE
PETER

ANDREWS
SARAH MCDONALD
597 / 151
KILMARNOCK (AYR)

JOHNSTONE
PETER

SKILLIN
SARAH MCDONALD
597 / 151
KILMARNOCK (AYR)

JOHNSTONE
PETER

THOMSON
SARAH MCDONALD
597 / 151
KILMARNOCK (AYR

John

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:15 BST (UK) »
The Valuation Rolls 1940 give Andrew Skilling at Southhook Cottages, Dreghorn and another Andrew Skilling at 64 Annanhill Avenue, Kilmarnock (Ayr).
One of these may be
Birth
SKILLING ANDREW THOMSON M 1905 597 / 882 KILMARNOCK (AYR)
son of Andrew Skilling and Agnes Hunter Thomson.

ADDED: Sorry I hadn't read your reply when I posted johnhood. I think the Thomson one was from her 1923 marriage to Benjamin Thomson.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 July 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
I have Sarah's parents as William Andrews b Ireland & Sarah Ann MacDonald b Springburn [from Sarah's birth cert & censuses] who married in 1879.

Andrew 1905 s/o Andrew Skilling & Agnes [Thomson] also had John Banks Thomson S 1903, Ellenora Banks S 1907,ELizabeth Banks S 1910, Thomas P G Kell S 1912 & Alexander Hewit S 1912. Hewit was the maiden name of Andrew 1905's mother.