Author Topic: Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?  (Read 854 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Skilling & Sarah Andrews m 1923 Kilmarnock?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 July 23 17:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone think it would be worth my friend's brother taking a y-DNA test? I suspect it would not show much as the earliest ancestor I have so far identified - Andrew Skilling b ca 1850  - would show as male ancestor to them all.  However it may identify a living male relative.

ADDED: A poser - if Sarah McDonald Andrews said she married Andrew Skilling in Mar 1923 and went on to have 6 children WHY would she marry Benjamin Thomson in Aug 1923?

And PS 22 Limekiln Rd, Saltcoats where Sarah Skilling and Agnes Skilling were living in 1942 [newspaper] is the same address that Sarah [McDonald] Andrews was living at in 1923 when she married Benjamin Thomson. She says she is a spinster. Maybe Sarah split her time between this address and Annanhill Avenue....she maybe inherited the house [or it's tenancy] from her parents.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 July 23 08:08 BST (UK) »
josey, cannot answer your query re dna-not my forte.
When revisiting your post this morning did not realise Sarah had married in 1923 to Benjamin. Do you have that marriage certificate and what date was the marriage. The birth cert of son in 1931 records "mother" married 1923 but not to Andrew.

John

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those thoughts. Sorry for late reply [health issues].

When revisiting your post this morning did not realise Sarah had married in 1923 to Benjamin. Do you have that marriage certificate and what date was the marriage. The birth cert of son in 1931 records "mother" married 1923 but not to Andrew.

Sarah's marriage to Benjamin Thomson was on 17 Aug 1923 at 22 Limekiln Road, Stevenston, Sarah's address. The marriage noted on the 1931 birth certificate is 14 March 1923 Kilmarnock, but there would be no checking. The first child Agnes Kilpatrick Skilling, was not born till 1925, so no need to marry Benjamin as a cover-up. I do need to follow up why father Andrew is said to be deceased on Agnes' 1946 marriage cert; it appears he was living at 64 Annanhill Avenue in 1942.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 July 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
I have just found a Daily Record page from 18 Jan 1937 containing the bare details of the undefended  divorce in the Court of Session of Benjamin Thomson lace weaver of West Donnington Street, Darvel from Sarah Andrews or Thomson. This is his address for the 1923 marriage. Sarah's address is c/o O'Hara, 9 Taylor Street, Glasgow.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 July 23 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Josey

The 1940 VRs show:

EDWARD OHARA
Tenant
HOUSE 9 TAYLOR STREET
GLASGOW
VR010201661-

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 July 23 22:18 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you, I wonder how Edward O'Hara and Sarah are connected. The divorce of Benjamin Thomson from Sarah Andrews was in 1937, the last child I have identified of Andrew Skilling and Sarah Andrews was born in 1936; it's not possible to know [without possibly buying a 1939 register entry for Sarah] if she was actually living in Glasgow or just using it as a forwarding address.

At the moment I am wondering if Andrew Skilling went abroad or changed his name rather than died before 1946. I can find no death entry on SP or freebmd.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
it's not possible to know [without possibly buying a 1939 register entry for Sarah] if she was actually living in Glasgow or just using it as a forwarding address, hence the c/o I suppose.
I found the 1937 electoral roll for 9 Taylor St, although other people were living there apart from Mrs Elizabeth O'Hara and Edward O'Hara, Sarah wasn't registered there.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 14:40 BST (UK) »
josey refers to Limekiln Road as in Saltcoats until Post #11 when it becomes Stevenston.
Limekiln Road is near the Rail Station in Stevenston, Stevenston Parish, not Saltcoats which is in Ardrossan Parish.
Sharphill Cottage was a mile north of the High Road junction with Dalry Road, in Saltcoats, well outside the town in the 1940s. The new 3 towns bypass has a roundabout just at Sharphill Cottage.
Just saying ... cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
It is hard to guess what age Andrew Skilling was when he was with Sarah.

His occupation showed as ploughman when his daughters' Agnes and Sarah were born in 1925 & 1926?

There is an Andrew Skilling, ploughman, working for a Francis Wilson, farmer, at Guiltreehill Farm in Kirkmichael, Ayrshire on the 1925 VRs.

1935 VRs show an Andrew Skilling, ploughman, working for a John Y Currie, farmer, at Southook Farm in Dreghorn, Ayrshire.

The name of Andrew Skilling is not common on the records. So, to have records showing an Andrew Skillling and the occupation of ploughman makes you think they may connect to the Andrew you are searching for.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk