Author Topic: unlock password protected pdf  (Read 766 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
unlock password protected pdf
« on: Friday 07 July 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
not sure why but an application from 3 years ago saved to my laptop is password protected, and i've no idea what it is (tried my usual ones, and my more secure ones). It only comes up with 'check your password'. Is there a way of removing the password? 

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: unlock password protected pdf
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
I assume you mean you have a PDF file you cannot open. Not an Application.
I do not know how to hack a password protected PDF file.
However you may have saved a version you did not protect so do a search for other copies of the file.
Might also get some useful data by looking at the Info on the file.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 July 23 17:49 BST (UK) »
I;m not sure if this helps but the pdfs sent to us that are  password protected have been dates of birth. You could contact the person who sent it.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 July 23 20:00 BST (UK) »
You could try this: https://smallpdf.com/unlock-pdf
I have never used this service so this isn't a recommendation!

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 July 23 20:41 BST (UK) »
I assume you mean you have a PDF file you cannot open. Not an Application.
I do not know how to hack a password protected PDF file.
However you may have saved a version you did not protect so do a search for other copies of the file.
Might also get some useful data by looking at the Info on the file.

Yes sorry, it was an application for a renewal of my blue (disabled) badge, which i knew i saved as a pdf but no idea why it had to have a password. Will look and see if i have another copy thanks.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 July 23 20:41 BST (UK) »
I;m not sure if this helps but the pdfs sent to us that are  password protected have been dates of birth. You could contact the person who sent it.

Thanks gadget, it's one of my own files :(

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 July 23 20:42 BST (UK) »
You could try this: https://smallpdf.com/unlock-pdf
I have never used this service so this isn't a recommendation!

Cheers Andy, may give that a try :)

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 July 23 22:42 BST (UK) »
There are two types of passwords that are applicable to a PDF file. The first one is the User Password to open/access the file, and the second one is the Master Password to encrypt the PDF document fully, which permits/restricts printing, copying, editing etc.
Both use 128 bit encryption as default.

IIRC Adobe Acrobat Pro can remove restrictions. You may find online convertors that may or may not work. They can be very hit and miss (always use a copy of the file)

Good luck

Jim

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 July 23 05:39 BST (UK) »
If you're having to go through a long list of favorite passwords, remember that some things lock you out after a few failures (typically 3)  and you have to wait a while before you can try again. This can be anything from a few minutes to a day or more. 
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.