Author Topic: unlock password protected pdf  (Read 768 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: unlock password protected pdf
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 July 23 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the advice, happy to try anything! Very frustrating though as I don’t know why it has a password in the first place 🙁
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 July 23 14:09 BST (UK) »
If you're sure you never passworded the file, it may be a software glitch.  The following is just a hunch based on some old M$ money files that I created and definitely weren't passworded, but the later version of M$M that I installed on a new computer thought they were.  The answer was to install the old version of M$M on the new computer and they worked fine.

If you're using a different pdf viewer from the one you were using when you saved the file you're trying to open, or even if you're not (because lots of software gets updated unbeknown to us), you might have some success trying a different viewer.  If you're on a different computer now, do you still have the old one that you could try a copy on?  Or access to an old computer that may still have an old pdf viewer installed?

Best of luck!
Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 July 23 14:24 BST (UK) »
That's interesting Jane, thanks. I can't guarantee 100% that I didn't set a password but am sure that if I had to, it would have been one of two basic passwords which I've tried several times now, and it keeps saying 'check password' then 'incorrect'.

I've tried opening it on the family desktop which I probably used at the time, rather than my ipad (now replaced by a laptop), but same issue. No other copy found. File saved to onedrive. Have tried saving a copy, but no luck without the password.

I've tried the 'smallpdf' suggestion from Andy J2022 but that failed too - said it was strongly encrypted and would take 1.2 million years to remove  ::) :o

Have more or less given up now, but when I send the new application later it will be interesting to see if I get the chance to save a copy.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 July 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that you used one of your "standard" passwords, but at the time you had CapsLock unexpectedly ON?

It was always unusual characters which caused problems when I worked with multinationals. People get used to typing passwords using the positions of the keys, and they can be different in other countries. Sometimes the required characters were not even present on the keyboard in use!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew, I hadn’t thought of that, so will try it now. Have to admit that the strong encryption message in the unlock website made me think it was a randomly generated one with loads of numbers and letters 🙄

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
Sadly that didn't work Andrew, but I have given in and submitted the application now. Typically, now that it's too late to amend the new one, it suggests you save a copy and that it will be password protected using the numbers from your date of birth :( I've saved this new copy with the password included in the file name  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 July 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
Sadly that didn't work Andrew, but I have given in and submitted the application now. Typically, now that it's too late to amend the new one, it suggests you save a copy and that it will be password protected using the numbers from your date of birth :( I've saved this new copy with the password included in the file name  ;D

That's what mine were, Deirdre  - not mine but another member of the tamily's.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 July 23 15:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gadget, was that what you meant in reply 2? I’m afraid that I didn’t try that as i was assuming (i do that too much!) that it would have been set by me.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 July 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
I think it's the default for password protected.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***