Author Topic: John McLeod and Christina Munro of Kincardine, Ross-shire  (Read 899 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McLeod and Christina Munro of Kincardine, Ross-shire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 July 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale, I realize that you found what I was looking for and might think I hadn't looked hard enough but I really had tried.  You obviously are more experienced at it than I am.

I have a few families that have connected to Coigach and that wonderful genealogy website https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~coigach/genealogy.

The records on Scotland's People cost money.  I do find it very frustrating to spend a lot of credits downloading certificates only to find that the parents names are "unknown" or only one parent is named, or that I had missed it because the censuses and BDM had used different spellings or slightly different names or that I got the wrong family completely. 

I have a 2.3 GB PDF file with much of the census records I am interested in amalgamated but I don't have them all.   Also, what doesn't help is the parish definitions on overall search of Scotland's People do not indicate county - I don't have them all from memory; lack of name variants (which used to be a useful feature, has now been removed).  Wild cards and phonetic matching aren't a good replacement.  It used to accommodated searches for "Mc Leod", "Mac Leod", "McLeod", "MacLeod", "M'Leod", etc.., the lack of being able to search Ross and Cromarty + Sutherland, etc..

I did volunteer to help transcribe 1851 Ross-shire but there was an issue with rights for 1851, 1861, etc..  I did help transcribe some parishes in Aberdeenshire for Freecen which is relatively complete and does allow one to try and make sense of family connections.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 July 23 23:25 BST (UK) »
Also, what doesn't help is the parish definitions on overall search of Scotland's People do not indicate county
Some parishes are partly in one county and partly in another, and at least one parish that I know of extends into three counties.

This list https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/detailed-list-of-old-parochial-registers-of-scotland.pdf lists parishes by county.

Another useful guide to which parish is in which county/counties is https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 July 23 02:17 BST (UK) »
What occupation do you have for Alexander McLEOD. What is your source for this detail?

Is this your family......McLEOD - ROSS, married 1866?

BDM South Australia birth
MCLEOD   Thomas Alexander father  Alexander MCLEOD Adelaide   131/208   1874
MCLEOD   William Robert      father  Alexander MCLEOD Adelaide   204/457   1878

The Advertiser (Adelaide) 29 Sep 1896  p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/34560237?
McLEOD—SHARPLES.—On the 13th August......... Baptist Church, Southwark.....John McLeod, eldest son of the late Alexander McLeod, of Southwark, to Rebecca Sharples, second daughter of John Sharples, of Carrondown.

Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 29 Sep 1918 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/239367808?
McLEOD — September 20th, Margaret, at the residence of her son, William McLEOD, Stewart Avenue, Normanhurst relict of the late Alexander McLeod, of Adelaide, and beloved mother of John, Thomas, and William McLeod, in her 8lst year. Perfect peace.

BDM NSW death
11461/1918 MCLEOD Margaret  parents Thomas / Margaret  @ Hornsby

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 July 23 03:31 BST (UK) »
Forforian and Wivenhoe thanks for the further info.

I don't have an occupation for Alexander McLeod, the son of John MacLeod and Christina Munro.

I understand there are three sons.  Source:https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/ross/8692/

I was next going look at Trove.

I have been going thru all the McLeods to disambiguate them and it is very easy to get them mixed up.  I am related to some, being a lot of them because of McLeod-McLeod marriages, but not all of them.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 23 03:36 BST (UK) »
Can you comment please on the information I have given reply #11.

Is this your family?

When and where did Alexander McLEOD, married 1866, die?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 23 04:16 BST (UK) »
When Alexander and Margaret (Ross) McLeod arrived in Adelaide onboard “Ernestine” in 1866, he is recorded as a farm servant.

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/ernestine1866.shtml

Regarding his birth, the records would suggest he was born in 1839: -
•   6 June 1841 census, age 2 = born 1839 (next sibling Barbara born March 1841)
•   30 March 1851 census, Born Morefield, age 10 = born 1840.
•   Married March 1866, age 27 = born 1839
•   April 1866 Immigration passenger list, age 27 = born 1839
•   He died 8 Oct 1885 Thebarton S.A. (age 46) = born 1839.

Regarding the 1861 census. I have come across 3 or 4 possibilities for an Alexander McLeod of the right age working as a farm labourer / farm servant / ploughman, etc. It is a common name in this area of Scotland, so it’s not really possible to know which one might be him.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 July 23 04:28 BST (UK) »

An occupation for Alexander McLEOD would assist in identifying him in the 1861 Census, Scotland.

Admissions Adelaide Hospital
https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/830163/GRG78-49-1840-1904-M-R.pdf

315 McLEOD John
admitted: 10/02/1879   13y   Presbyterian
residence:   Adelaide Gaol   occupation:   school boy
birthplace: South Australia

129 McLEOD Alexander
admitted: 21/01/1884     42y  Presbyterian
residence:  Adelaide  occupation:  Gaol Warder
birthplace:   RossshireScotland Years in the Colony: 18 y   ship:  Eamsdale 

856 McLEOD Alexander
admitted: 18/05/1885 43y  Presbyterian
residence: Thebarton  occupation: Gardener
birthplace: Scotland                Years in the Colony: 17 y        ship: Ernestine 

1356 McLEOD Alexander
admitted: 26/08/1885 43y  Presbyterian
residence: Thebarton  occupation:  Warder
birthplace:  Scotland               years in the colony:  19y         ship: Ernestine

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 July 23 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for this info.

Is this my family?  It is the one I was looking for. 

As I stated I am related to most of the McLeods from this area of Scotland through McLeod-McLeod marriages.  I might be directly related to a fewer number of them but cannot prove it because records don't exist or have been lost or are ambiguous, many emigrated, and/or migrated to other parts of UK.

I have learnt something by asking for help on this one family (as I have on others) and intend to put it to good use because I didn't have the Lochbroom info linked to marriages.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 July 23 12:57 BST (UK) »

What birthplace do you have for Alexander McLEOD, married 1866, and where do you see this?