Author Topic: Help deciphering 1871 Census for Margaret McDonald b.c1826 Scotland  (Read 606 times)

Offline rodeminy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering 1871 Census for Margaret McDonald b.c1826 Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 July 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
The marriage parish record is on Family Search and confirms Peter was a Soldier.

Catherine McDonald   Marriage 1 October 1866  Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Birth 1841  Parents Peter McDonald Spouse Frank Duffield

Colin,

Thank you very much indeed this, and for your earlier suggestions on my dilemma. I do rather favour Margaret being resident in New Brampton (DBY) in 1841, as a precursor to her marriage in Rotherham. One does wonder - wherever she was in 1841 - how she got the "job" so far from home, but I expect if we knew that it would be self-evident!

The 1861 Census entry for Stoney Middleton was my initial point of contact. As was noted on your posting of the entry, Catherine junior had an illegitimate daughter, Julia, and whilst it would be impossible to prove, I think Julia's father was John Goddard - living in a nearby household. I say this as John's father, William (my gt*3 grandfather) appears to have "adopted" Julia by 1871:

[1871]
GODDARD : William : Head : Mar : 58 : Lead Miner & Grocer : DBY : Stony Middleton
GODDARD : Martha : Wife : Mar : 66 : DBY : Stony Middleton
GODDARD : Elizabeth : Daur : Unm : 21 : DBY : Stony Middleton
MAC DONALD : Julia : Gran Daur : 8 : Scholar : DBY : Stony Middleton
GODDARD : Ellen : Gran Daur : 10mo : DBY : Stony Middleton

And by 1881, still resident with William, she was known as "Julia Goddard".

[1881]
GODDARD : William : Head : Widr : 67 : Lead Miner & Grocer : DBY : Stoney Middleton
GODDARD : Elizabeth : Daur : Unm : 30 : House Keeper : DBY : Stoney Middleton
GODDARD : Julia : Gran Daur : 17 : Cotton Spiner : DBY : Stoney Middleton
GODDARD : Ellen : Gran Daur : 10 : Scholar : DBY : Stoney Middleton

(Ellen Goddard, aged 10 was William's daughter Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter]

And yes, Julia appears to have been getting younger each decade! :-)

Rosemary

Offline rodeminy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering 1871 Census for Margaret McDonald b.c1826 Scotland
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 July 23 14:14 BST (UK) »
Rosemary, from the 1861 census entry, have you got anywhere in trying to trace who this nephew, William McDonald, could be the son of?

Monica,

Yes, I have tried, but have never settled on an entry for certain. I had wondered if he had been Margaret's illegitimate son, born prior to her marriage in 1856.  Therefore your first suggestion,

GRO Reference: 1854  J Quarter in MANCHESTER  Volume 08D  Page 259

could be appropriate. William was with James Garlic and Margaret both in 1861 and 1871, but sadly, by 1891 (if I have the correct reference) he was in Manchester Lunatic Asylum.

It is quite gratifying to receive so many responses to my initial enquiry - it has given me a lot to think about! Thanks again.

Rosemary