Author Topic: Simpson  (Read 358 times)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simpson
« on: Saturday 08 July 23 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching my family tree for a number of years. It had just came to light by me that a Margaret Turnbull McPeak Simpson was adopted by the McPeak family. Margaret was born 10/12/1887,Edinburgh,  can't find her date of death, but she married Edward Malarkie 21/12/1912, Thomas Church, Leith, she them married James McColgan 26/4/1919, The Manse, South Leith, Edinburgh.

Her parents were John Simpson and Elizabeth Henderson, her Mum died 1889, on the 1891 census Henry McPeak and Margaret Turnbull adopted Margaret, as it states adopted daughter.

I have Margaret's siblings, Jane born 1862 died 1865, Ann Davidson dob 1864 died 1865, John dob 1866 died 1866, Henry McPeak Simpson dob 1867 died 1872, Archibald C dob 1870 died 1871, John dob 1872 died 1933, he married Janet McKay, Henry McPeak Simpson dob 1874, married Elizabeth Ward, David F Simpson born 1876 died 1938, married Matilda Gore, Andrew born 1878 no date of death, William born 1880, no dod and Jane 1884, all Edinburgh.

Elizabeth Henderson's  parents were Andrew Henderson and Ann Riva, Ann's parents were Paul Riva and Margaret Lyon.

John Simpson which was Margaret Turnbull McPeak Simpson Dad, his parents were John Simpson and Jane Davidson. I have John Simpson's sister Jane Simpson and she married David Wright.

What I would like to find out is how the Simpson's and McPeak's were related. I have done a lot of research but definelty missing something.

Ann Benson

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 23 16:34 BST (UK) »
Adopted back in 1891 means they had taken her in.  A bit like todays fostering.  Where was her father in 1891? 

The McPeaks don't necessarily have to be related - they may have been neighbours or friends
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
Why would Margaret and her siblings have McPeak as middle names.

A mystery?

Ann

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 23 16:47 BST (UK) »
2 of my female ancestors had surnames Bullock & McDonald as middle names.  Absolutely no connection to anyone in our FH

Have you checked SP to see whether John Simpson has either of the surnames in his FH? 

Where the McPeaks neighbours?

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
In 1881 the McPeaks have a daughter Ann aged 2 who was born Ann Riva Henderson McPeak

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 23 18:48 BST (UK) »
"can't find her date of death"

Margaret Simpson McColgan died 1923 per www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 July 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
Just checked S/P website nothing showing up.

Ann

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 July 23 19:57 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 census Henry McPeak and his wife Margaret were living at Waddell Place, with Margaret Simpson, she was 13 years old.

On the 1891 census, Margaret's Dad, John Simpson was a boarder with Jane Simpson his daughter, she was born 16/7/1862, Fountain Close, High Street, Edinburgh.  The head of the house hold was David Wright aged 48, Jane Wright aged 49, Jane aged 23, Jane Wright was John Simpson's sister. The census was recorded in Dundee.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 July 23 21:29 BST (UK) »
I can't find it now either  ???  It was definitely there when I posted  ???  Shown as Margaret Simp McColgan but I don't think any age was shown