Author Topic: Casey and O'Brien from Tipperary  (Read 239 times)

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Casey and O'Brien from Tipperary
« on: Saturday 08 July 23 23:40 BST (UK) »
My ggf Michael Casey was born in Tipperary sometime between 1838-52 (there are a lot of variations for his year of birth listed in documents). His parents were Michael Casey and Mary O'Brien. I've done some searches and the only marriage between a Michael Casey and Mary O'Brien I could find was in 1835 in Ballyvistea, Tipperary. I'm not sure if those are my 2x ggps (they might be the only ones with records available online), but one of their children was named Michael (however, they seem to have had two children named Michael, or another couple with the same names in the same tiny townland also had a son named Michael - I suspect the first one might have died and they named another son Michael - the dates are at the far end of the range for my ggf). I drove through Ballyvistea recently and it's mostly empty farmland. Any help with the Casey or O'Brien lines would be appreciated. I have almost no DNA matches from either line and it's proven very difficult to find information.

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Casey and O'Brien from Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 13:34 BST (UK) »
The O'Briens are still in Ballyvistea today

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
The O'Briens are still in Ballyvistea today

I have virtually zero information about the O'Briens; just the name of my 2x great-grandmother, Mary. That's it. There's a reasonably good chance the Casey/O'Briens I found in Ballyvistea are related to my line, but have no info to tie them together. Are there any DNA databases focused on O'Briens in Tipperary?

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 20:16 BST (UK) »
I have also found several Caseys that are related to my GGF Michael, but little info about how they are connected. Michael's father was Michael and he had a son Michael, but he also lived with another Michael Casey, who I presume was a cousin; the cousin was born in Limerick in 1851 and entered the US through New York, but lived with my Michael in Boston for several years before disappearing. They were both naturalized US citizens on the same day (10/31/1876) and appear on consecutive pages in the records.

Also naturalized on the same day is William Casey and the witnesses for his naturalization were the same as my Michael's (Thomas O'Brien, the maiden name of Michael's mother, and Ed Davine/Devine, apparently Michael's landlord). According to the record, William was born 3/5/1851 in Tipperary and arrived in Boston in 1866. The witness at Michael Casey's wedding was William Casey (probably the same one), and Michael subsequently had a child he named William.

Thomas Casey was the godparent for the birth of one of Michael's children, as were Patrick Casey and Catherine Casey. I have no information on how they may be related, but it is very likely that they are.

In addition, there was a John Casey (b. Ireland), married to Ellen, who had a son named William in 1870 in Boston. John died and Ellen later boarded both of the Michaels I was tracking at one time, and many of the Caseys I found worked in the printing industry in Boston. Ellen's son William later became the superintendent of printing for the city of Boston, and his son William became a Jesuit priest and served in Iraq, among other places, before dying in the early 1990s. My father remembers being taken to the first mass of a family priest  in the 1930s, and it was very likely William Casey he saw; there is a strong indication that we are related to this branch - through John Casey - as well.