Author Topic: McKeons from Cloone  (Read 692 times)

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: McKeons from Cloone
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 July 23 13:19 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has Tithe Applotment Books 1805-1837. I can’t find the record elsewhere. There is no image.

Henry McKeen
Residence date 1834
Annaghbranahan Glebe, Cloone, Leitrim

that townland (and others in the parish) has been indexed incorrectly on the National Archives website, listed as Cloony in County Clare link (see the page image)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 July 23 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 July 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has Tithe Applotment Books 1805-1837. I can’t find the record elsewhere. There is no image.

Henry McKeen
Residence date 1834
Annaghbranahan Glebe, Cloone, Leitrim

that townland (and others in the parish) has been indexed incorrectly on the National Archives website, listed as Cloony in County Clare link (see the page image)

Well done, athacliath62  :D

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 July 23 13:50 BST (UK) »
It would appear the family McKeone in 1901 are the branch that stayed in Ireland.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Leitrim/Cloone/Drumharkan_Glebe/1476978/
Note they have a son Charles and in 1911 a son Michael
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Cloone/Drumharkan_Glebe/659011/
The father was Henry
And on his death the place name Annagh..etc

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05744/4621841.pdf

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 23 14:14 BST (UK) »
For interest:
Annaghbrennan  locally pronounced Annaghbrenaghan, Brennaghan’s Marsh or moor. The Down Survey has Annaghbromhagan Eanach  Broghagan, The Moor or marsh of the rushes, from Brobh, a rush.   This is more likely to be the correct  meaning. Through this townland runs a road called Hurley Hill, over which, tradition says, St. Fraoch travelled from his monastery at Cloone to the home of his sister, Nemald, at Gortnalougher.

From
http://www.aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=8&ContentId=30

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 23 16:36 BST (UK) »
With reference to ‘Carol’ born 1857.
Is the baptism register written in Latin? I would think this would be Charles.

Correct - I was just pasting from notes - the doc itself states "Carolum" which I presume is the masculine form for Charles in Latin.

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 July 23 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who have responded - still going through each of the comments. FYI, my GGF Patrick was a member of the Foresters and had a life insurance policy from them (see the attached) - the applications are online and contain some useful info as everything was reported by him personally (though he was illiterate and probably relied on someone else to fill out the form). The doc is definitely him as I can verify the local address via other documents and it referenced his marriage in Edinburgh, which is also confirmed on multiple other docs.

His birthplace is "Clune" in "Leigthram," Ireland; presumably, that's Cloone, Leitrim (again, the spelling was likely at the mercy of the person filling out the form who was trying to interpret what he said through Patrick's accent and whatever spelling conventions he may have known at the time).

The form was completed in 1894 and his reported age was 37, implying a year of birth of 1857. UK and US census data and his marriage indicate possible years of birth of 1855, 56, 57, and 58, so it's probably in that ballpark.

He listed his father (no name, but should be Michael McKeon/McEwan/McKeown/McKeone) as deceased by 1894 at age 75 and that he didn't know the date or location of his death (again, it would be difficult to receive news an ocean away without being able to read or write, or he just didn't remember). However, another section of the form states that he was 32 when his father died, implying a death in 1889. I found a few possible candidates based on YOB and YOD, but can't confirm which could be him. His mother, Catherine Duignan was listed as being alive at age 70 in 1894, implying a birth date of 1822 (take that with a grain of salt).

Other information points to him being one of 6 children with 5 siblings: 3 brothers and 2 sisters (no names). For the brothers, one was killed at 31 in an accident in 1882, implying a year of birth of 1851, one was 42 (1852) and the other was 39 (1849) - all of these years probably have a +/- of 5 years. I found records for 4 of the 5 possible siblings: James (1849), John (1851), and Charles (1857) born to Michael McKeon and Catherine Duignan.

For the sisters, both were still alive at 45 (1849) and 35 (1859); I only found a record for Anna (1854).

I have no idea which of his siblings might have come to the US - there were quite a few McKeons in his neighborhood in Medford, MA, as well as Belmont, Somerville, and other nearby areas, so either some siblings or cousins made it, just not sure which ones. I found another Michael McKeon (b. 1865) that was apparently a cousin; his Forrester's application indicated that his beneficiary was Bridget McKeon from "Renagowna, Bromad (sp?), County Leitrim." Not sure where that is or how they're connected, but the likely are.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 July 23 18:06 BST (UK) »

... his Forrester's application indicated that his beneficiary was Bridget McKeon from "Renagowna, Bromad (sp?), County Leitrim." Not sure where that is or how they're connected, but the likely are.

Maybe Rinnagowna townland, east of Dromod:

https://www.townlands.ie/leitrim/mohill/mohill/roosky/rinnagowna/

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 July 23 18:15 BST (UK) »
There is a death here for Catherine McKeown - informant son Henry.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05890/4670748.pdf

I think this is Henry’s family - he was deceased by 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Leitrim/Cloone/Drumharkan_Glebe/1476978/

I can’t find a marriage for Henry and Maria Glancy/Clancy about 1881 which would tell us his father’s name. I was trying to link him earlier to the Henry from Tithe App. Records to discount of confirm relationships.
The death record though may show his father is Michael.