Author Topic: McKeons from Cloone  (Read 695 times)

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McKeons from Cloone
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 July 23 13:09 BST (UK) »
I didn't see Catherine's death on the first doc - I saw Michael McKeone and Catherine Duignan was the informant but listed as his daughter?

The writing is difficult to read but it is there - #31
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05890/4670748.pdf

Thanks - I think I was looking at a different doc before. The handwriting is hard to decipher, but I think you're correct. However, I'm not 100% sure that's the right Catherine. It would be more useful if they listed the name of her spouse instead of "wife of farmer." I have seen various McKeons married to various Duignans (I've also seen other instances of this in other lines - two brothers marrying two sisters (or cousins) from the same families). Naming conventions seem to limit the choice of children's names to about a half dozen that continually repeat. I've seen Henry pop up enough to think we're related, but I don't know if we share my 2x ggf or 3x or 4x ggf. There's a chance there was another Catherine Duignan (cousin?) who married another McKeon, but this is still promising.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 July 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, the names are quite common in that area. It is difficult.

I see there are some published trees with Michael McKeon and Catherine Duignan, with several records/events with Rosharry as the residence.
Some have Carol as female.
I think they have similar difficulties with the names.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 July 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
Regarding the death of Catherine Duignan McKeon, I also found a death certificate for a Catherine McEwan (maiden name Dagnan) in 1893 in Edinburgh. My ggf Patrick moved to Edinburgh and married there before emigrating to the US. I also found a Catherine McKeon (no maiden name, b. 1817, d. 1896) at Cloonmorris cemetery in Leitrim; hard to tell if there are cousins or just unrelated Duignans with the same name.

Thanks to everyone for all of your assistance.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 July 23 18:24 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Scottish death certificate? I think they are more detailed than Irish or English ones.

Would this be the 1896 death?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05890/4670753.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 July 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 July 23 20:09 BST (UK) »
There is also the one I posted earlier for Catherine with son Henry from Annabranaghan. .   She is 80, I think.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05890/4670748.pdf

The most recent one mentioned by mjfcase is 79 yrs old.

Looking at the family Bellageeher, I don’t think they are relevant.

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a GGgreat grandmother Eleanor Mckeon or Mcewan as sometimes spelt.
She was born about 1802.She married Timothy Connell who was born 1802 in Macroom Co Cork. Timothy joined the 60th Rifles  1821 and came out with I'll health around 23 years after joining up.He came out in Paisley Scotland 1845.I have them on the 1851 Census.
The reason I'm posting is you mentioned the name Catherine Mckeon.
They had a daughter Catherine  Connell.I don't know who my Eleanor's parents were and Timothy's just has his mother' maiden name Oleary .but  I think Eleanors mother was either Catherine  Mckeon or Mary Anne Mckeon which is her other daughters  first name.
Do you have Gedmatch numbers with your Dna.I have mine on Gedmatch.

Who knows we might be connected.

Marguerite.

Offline mfjcase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 August 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
The reason I'm posting is you mentioned the name Catherine Mckeon.
They had a daughter Catherine  Connell.I don't know who my Eleanor's parents were and Timothy's just has his mother' maiden name Oleary .but  I think Eleanors mother was either Catherine  Mckeon or Mary Anne Mckeon which is her other daughters  first name.
Do you have Gedmatch numbers with your Dna.I have mine on Gedmatch.

Who knows we might be connected.

Marguerite.

My Catherine McKeon was born Catherine Duignan and married Michael McKeon in Leitrim. I do have GEDmatch, but I've just started using it.

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 August 23 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi if you send me your Gedmatch number I can check it against mine. I have 2 .1 for Ancestry dna and one My Heritage dna .
And it'd weird because one shows up dna relations when the other doesn't. Especially if its back 6 or 7generations.

Marguerite