Author Topic: Stephensons of Knarsdale  (Read 296 times)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephensons of Knarsdale
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 July 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
Where Barnstown Head is on the old OS map, the 1837 tithe map has a label Barnstownhead and an area transcribed as Barns Farm approx 20 acres, occupied by Robert Stephenson, owned by Revd. William Thompson.

There is also a label "Barns" nearby, approximately in the correct place, but this is only a small site labelled 'croft', occupier Edward Glendening, owners John and Robert Baxter.

This isn't the best tithe map I've ever seen and it does not have individual buildings drawn hence the uncertainty. I can't link or post an image because it is subscriber-only info.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline lazytee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephensons of Knarsdale
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 July 23 20:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to to you both for your very prompt and interesting replies and photographs.
Re:
1.  Burnstones - this is a separate property marked on the 2,005 O.S. map OL43 (Hadrian's Wall) and not connected to my Stephensons.

2. The Northumberland (Old Series) CVIA.3 is excellent.  It shows exactly what I want to know.  I am familiar with this sort of map, but can never find the one I want.  I have made a note of the number of the Knarsdale map for future reference.

3.The Wikepedia article - I had already found this page and noted the that the manor of Knarsdale had been acquired by a John Stephenson in 1730.  But this was way before my Stephensons arrived at Barnstown Foot in the 1790s, probably coming from Edmundbyers, Co. Durham.  There was, however, another Stephenson family already living in Knarsdale at that time, possibly related to my folk.
4.Regarding the tythe map  of 1837, showing the occupant of Barns Farm as Robert Stephenson, he is the step son of my very distant cousin, umpteen times removed, Jane Morpeth (b. 1772 at Allendale).  Jane can be found in the 1841 census with Robert, who is described as the head of the household.

Having found the answer to my question most satisfactorily, I will now close this topic.  Many thanks again to you both.

Lazytee.