Author Topic: Samuelson-Sandvid Family  (Read 346 times)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuelson-Sandvid Family
« on: Sunday 09 July 23 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me find some information on the Samuelson-Sandvid family - specifically: Emanuel Samuelson-Sandvid born abt 1866.
He was born in Brazil (most likely Rio De Janeiro) to Emanuel and Victorine (possibly leonora victorine). Emanuel was orphaned at 7/8 along with his little sister Leonora. Apparently a Norwegian sailor took Leonora back to Portugal where family took her in, and he took Emanuel back to Norway with him. Emanuel as an adult ended up going to Durham where he stayed. I don't know what happened to his sister Leonora.
I was just wondering if anyone could find any information on Emanuel's parents (emanuel and victorine) in Brazil, any information on Emanuel before coming to England or any information on what happened to his sister Leonora in Portugal. There is a chance that Victorine was part Portugese - hence why Leonora went to live with family in Portugal.
Also, if anyone was able to find Emanuel on the 1911 census that would be very helpful, he is not with his wife and children on Frederick Street in Durham, but he is with them in 1901. His wife is Ada.
Thank you for any help or information!  :)

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Samuelson-Sandvid Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 July 23 01:31 BST (UK) »
Here is his Naturalization Record:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sgr/

It says he was born on April 1st, 1866 in Rio De Janeiro to Emanuel S Samuelson and Victoria Samuelson.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 July 23 04:57 BST (UK) »
He could well be at sea in 1911.
In 1921 he is crew on a vessel

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 23 05:24 BST (UK) »
Have you worked out who Donald McDonald, the uncle in 1901, is?  Age 46, born in New York

Also…who is the mother of “Cressie/Crissie” Described as daughter in 1901, stepdaughter (to Ada ?) in 1911.

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 23 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the naturalisation record, at least it confirms that he was born in Rio De Janeiro and who his parents were. Are there any sort of birth records in Brazil that can be accessed?

I think that Crissie is the illegitimate daughter of Emanuel's wife, Ada. Although Ada says that she had only 2 children on the 1911 census and said Crissie was her stepdaughter I wonder if she just wrote the census from the point of view of her husband? There is a birth record for a Crissie Brown in 1894.

And no, unfortunately, I haven't been able to work out who Donald McDonald is...

Sorry for another question but in 1896 there's a marriage record for ''Emanuel Sunuelsen Sandbed'' marrying Jane Isabella Hall, however I know that he actually married Ada Brown in 1896 - could this just be a mistake?

thank you for anyone helping  :)

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 July 23 14:25 BST (UK) »
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 July 23 19:22 BST (UK) »

Sorry for another question but in 1896 there's a marriage record for ''Emanuel Sunuelsen Sandbed'' marrying Jane Isabella Hall, however I know that he actually married Ada Brown in 1896 - could this just be a mistake?

Jane Isabella Hall married Frederick Jarvis
There are always two couples with the same reference, and in this case, on Free BMD, there are also a lot (4) attempts at transcribing Emanuel’s name.

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 July 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help!
I've had a look at the Brazilian Records and unfortunately I can't seem to find anything on Emanuel or his family. I wonder if the Norwegian man that took Emanuel in had the surname of ''Samuelson'' and Emanuel adopted his surname  :-\