Author Topic: henry allton and mary unknow  (Read 337 times)

Offline Kirstyneedham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
henry allton and mary unknow
« on: Sunday 09 July 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
hi im looking for info on henry allton born 1777 in nuneaton he married mary unknow surname they had my 3 great grandad william allton he was born abt 1820 in hartshill and he died in hartshill in 1877. henry and mary had 2 boys and 1 girl.

i would love to know more about them and marys surname as i cant find her on ancestry and im getting stuck.

the names of the other children are as follows john and elizabeth allton

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: henry allton and mary unknow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
hi im looking for info on henry allton born 1777 in nuneaton he married mary unknow surname they had my 3 great grandad william allton he was born abt 1820 in hartshill and he died in hartshill in 1877. henry and mary had 2 boys and 1 girl.

i would love to know more about them and marys surname as i cant find her on ancestry and im getting stuck.

You appear to have added your post to an existing post on a different subject.  I will ask the moderators to set it up as a new topic

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kirstyneedham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 23 19:16 BST (UK) »

You appear to have added your post to an existing post on a different subject.  I will ask the moderators to set it up as a new topic

Rosie
thanks x

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 23 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Lets start by clarifying that your William Allton is the miner  who is married to Dinah Morgans 11.7.1841 and died in an accident in the mine and was buried there in 1877 .
He is 54 on his burial record but born c 1820 at Hatrshill on the 1851 census,and 22 on his marriage in 1841.

He is not the weaver about the same age married to Lucy and then Elizabeth and born in Ansley 1820 s of Elizabeth Alton single woman.

Just so we have the right one.
On his marriage his surname is given as William Horton and his father as Henry Horton labourer.

I can't see a baptism to Henry and Mary -I can see one for a Henry and Elizabeth Halton.
Nuneaton 6 June 1818
William s of Henry and Elizabeth Halton Common Bricklayer

There is at Nuneaton
Rhoda Orton 6 Sep 1807 married 18.1.1831 Thomas Dagley and moved to Chapel End  Hartshill 1841 census
Jane Orton 17 .1.1810 married 28.6.1830 Mancetter William Wood of Baddesley Ensor.
Henry Orton 15.4.1811
Thomas Orton 11.4.1813 s of Henry and Elizabeth of Common  labourer married 25.10.1835 Millicent Jephcott at Nuneaton ,gives birth on census as Hartshill.Miner at Coventry
Rosannah Orton 30.3.1816  brickmaker Common
Joseph Orton 6 Sep 1820 same buried 14.1.1821
Elizabeth  Orton 1 March 1823 Stockingford brick maker. married William Cope 30 Dec 1844 at Mancetter .father Henry Aulton of Hartshill labourer

William's Wife Dinah buried as Orton 6 Dec 1858 of Chapel End age 48 so the spelling is interchangeable.

There is a possible marriage by licence at Newbold on Avon
Henry Orton bach age 22 of Bilton Warwicks  and Elizabeth Norton 18  of Newbold d of Thomas.11.6.1799.

This could lead to two more children Mary 13.10.1799  and Ann 21.6.1801

Henry Allton  buried Hartshill 6 Dec 1857 age 80 and Elizabeth at Mancetter of Hartshill 23 Aug 1840 age  59 .

He is on the 1841census at Chapel End Hartshill
Henry Alton 60 ag lab y
Elizabeth 15 y
John 14 y
William Horton 20 miner y next door .

1851 he may be the widowed Henry Alton   age 72 born Chilvers Cotton visiting  Badsley Ensor and William and Jane Wood who look to be his daughter and son in law.

That would lead to a baptism at Chilvers Cotton 26 May 1776 as Henry Orton s of another  Henry and Elizabeth Orton

Not getting a Henry and Mary

Ciderdrinker

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Not getting a Henry and Mary
Ciderdrinker

Sorry I'm a little late to the party.

Hi Kirsty, I am also a direct relation of William Allton (via Maria Ellen Allton 1873-1934).

I made a similar thread to this back in 2021: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853385.0

I too came to a similar conclusion as ciderdrinker, William's father was Henry, William lived nextdoor to Henry in the 1841 census. 1851 Census he's in Baddesley, giving his birth as Chilver's Coton c. 1777.

I never found a marriage for Henry Allton (c.1777-1857). I also don't get (if true) Orton morphed into Allton.... Maybe I was barking up the wrong tree looking for a death of an Allton (wife of Henry) after 1827... Maybe I should have been looking for Orton/Horton etc.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh and I'm not sure if it's important but "Ann Lapworth" was present at the death of Henry Allton in November 1857

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:58 GMT (UK) »
No idea why this double-posted. Apologies

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a baptism to Henry and Mary -I can see one for a Henry and Elizabeth Halton.
Nuneaton 6 June 1818
William s of Henry and Elizabeth Halton Common Bricklayer

Rhoda Orton 6 Sep 1807 married 18.1.1831 Thomas Dagley and moved to Chapel End  Hartshill

More on this, so I decided to focus on Elizabeth based on the above. I managed to find a burial for an 'Elizabeth Alton' in Mancetter records for August 23rd 1840. Abode was Hartshill, age was given as 59 (1781 estimate).

Pretty sure that this was the one, I ordered the death cert - Elizabeth Alton, Female, 59 Years, Wife of Henry Alton Labourer, Rhoda Dagley present at the death, Hartshill. As Rhoda married Thomas Dagley in 1831.. This is likely the wife of your Henry b. 1777.

I've yet to find her maiden name but I'll keep looking - We have an estimated birth now, so hopefully this will help.

Thanks again to ciderdrinker for knocking part of the wall down.

EDIT: I can now see that ciderdrinker also identified the 1840 burial

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 February 24 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Glad to see you've cracked it.
Not too sure of the marriage for Henry and Elizabeth Orton.
There is a marriage by licence ,a bit of a distance away at Newbold on Avon.It's 11.6.1799
Henry is 22 so about the right age but of Bilton
Elizabeth Norton is a minor aged 18 from Newbold on Avon who is marrying with the consent of her father Thomas Norton.
witnesses Richard Webb and John Burton.
Elizabeth's christening at Newbold is 17.6.1781 d of Thomas and Ann Norton
This fits with the age of Elizabeth Orton who died in 1840.
Daughter Mary bapt 13.10.1799 ,so Elizabeth was already pregnant. Then Ann 21.6.1801 at Newbold. No more children after that.

The ages of both do fit .

Just  a thought

Ciderdrinker