Author Topic: Identical Twins  (Read 756 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Identical Twins
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 July 23 04:13 BST (UK) »
 I have just  remembered  , I have two matches on My Heritage  who share with me exactly  the same amount of DNA ( and  the full DNA to each other).

At the time of first seeing them months and months ago, I flippantly just thought they are  probably the same person as identical twins are  rare of course (  they are using different names and not under management by either one of them, but I just  passed it off as one person who took two tests and using 2  different names) .

I really thought no more about it at the time, as they are not  that close relatives of mine,  and I don't know how exactly we are connected ( they're  both female with two different names ).
I've  just had to scroll through a heap of my matches to find them as I couldn't remember their names, except that they were female

But perhaps I shouldn't have flippantly wrote off my two matches as being  the one person.
The other hasn't a picture of herself, only one of them does , not that would  really matter if they are identical twins.

Whether my two matches are the same person who took the test twice  or are identical twins ,I really don't know, and probably  won't ever know - as I am not going to message them to ask them if they are identical twins or if it is the same person, using two tests and using two different names for some reason .
They both have no trees, all  that I do know  they're  genetically matching to  one of my my maternal g g grandfather's  lines somewhere .

But yes the DNA tests can't tell if it's
identical  twins or the same person.
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 23 13:08 BST (UK) »
I have the same scenario with a match on MH,  same dna share, same clothing and background in profile pic but not quite the same picture, the forename and middle names are flipped round but nothing in the tree to really help. I can't tell if Mary Louise and Louise Mary are one and the same or identical twins. Initially I wondered if it was one person with two accounts, one based on an Ancestry test and one based on an MH result but as the cM figures are the same I have my doubts that is the case.  Knowing my luck it's one person who lost access to their account and created a new one, attracting the matches that just cause a lot of head scratching is the sort of thing I'm good at, really good at if I'm honest.  ::)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 July 23 10:16 BST (UK) »
To complicate mine  even more , the one in the picture is definetely a woman by all accounts going by the picture of themselves  ( the one  that I've  blanked out the picture of )  - BUT   has used "He"(   said they  were a male obviously when   joining up  , but they  have used a  female name  )  The other  " twin"  is stated as a "she"  ( but no picture) but also a female name too, but a different name  to her " twin" . ( so I guess they are both  females and not  male and  female lol )
My mind boggles  :o lol  ;D  a male and female   identical  twins  lol.
I think mine are probably the same person,  or  if they're  identical twins, one of the twins( the picture I've blanked out ) decided she may like  to be a he, or hit the male by  total mistake.

I've searched my matches on ancestry and I don't think they , or she, or he  have their DNA on there , so probably  two tests  (  by the same person  taking  it  twice, or  identical twins and one of them has pressed the incorrect birth gender for themselves) and not  uploaded twice.  .
Kind regards  :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 July 23 10:42 BST (UK) »
I have two exactly identical matches on GEDmatch. Having established our relationship through contact, it transpired that they are mother and daughter, who had somehow managed to combine both of their tests into a Superkit, and assigned it to each of them. Both have their original tests elsewhere, so I can actually see the individual matches, which are of course different.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire