Author Topic: Air Ministry Acronyms  (Read 156 times)

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Air Ministry Acronyms
« on: Tuesday 11 July 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
As part of my researches, I have noted several acronyms used by the RAF or the Air Ministry in connection with:-

"Night Combat Trials with a Lancaster: F.I.U. Report No. 201”  A version of this report is contained in the “Lancaster Pocket Manual” originally published by the Air Ministry.  pp 49-58  (Edition published by Osprey, 2017)

Since it is not clear from the report, does anyone know what the following stand for:

F.I.U
A.F.D.U.
B.D.U.  as in, “…. a Lancaster from B.D.U. arrived…”

Where can I find a copy of the original report?  Logic suggests the National Archives at Kew under the AIR section, although I have not been able to find it.  It is possible a copy is in the RAF Museum at Hendon although they are now closed until April 2024.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Air Ministry Acronyms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 18:51 BST (UK) »
FIU – Fighter Interception Unit
AFDU – Air Fighting Development Unit
BDU – Bombing Development Unit/ Bomber Development Unit

More here if you need them: https://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_abbreviations.htm

If you are looking for Ministry of Aviation files, rather than RAF, at TNA try AVIA. For example AVIA 15 contains a lot of trials information.

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Air Ministry Acronyms
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 19:18 BST (UK) »
FIU – Fighter Interception Unit
AFDU – Air Fighting Development Unit
BDU – Bombing Development Unit/ Bomber Development Unit

More here if you need them: https://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_abbreviations.htm

If you are looking for Ministry of Aviation files, rather than RAF, at TNA try AVIA. For example AVIA 15 contains a lot of trials information.
Thanks very much Andy.  A lot of useful information there. 
One of the things the report brought out was that the Lancaster's blind spot below at the rear was well known in 1943.  The German night fighters were later able to exploit it to devastating effect by the use of their Schrage Musik upward firing gun.