Author Topic: Benjamin Stephenson (Stevenson)  (Read 178 times)

Offline KMT123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Stephenson (Stevenson)
« on: Tuesday 11 July 23 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find family information on my 2x great grandfather, Benjamin W Stephenson, born in Killoe.  I believe he spelled it "Stevenson" while he was in the military.  He was married to Ann Thompson.  I am looking for information on his parents and extended family.  Thank you!

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Stephenson (Stevenson)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 23 13:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

It really helps us if you include dates in your original post, as it makes it easier to research. If you could also link any primary sources you have found for this family (i.e. birth/marriage/death records, census records, wills), then that will prevent duplicate research.

I can see that Benjamin had died before the 1901 census, on which Anne appears with their children:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Longford/Longford_No__1_Urban/Dublin_Street/1555702/

I can also see that they were Church of Ireland, which makes it more difficult, as Catholic baptisms are more readily available (in my experience, anyway).

However, Benjamin and Anne's marriage certificate does provide some helpful information:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11159/8088091.pdf

Benjamin's father was John Stephenson, farmer, and it seems he also may have had a relative called Lloyd, who witnessed the marriage.

The only death I can find for a Benjamin Stephenson in the Longford R.D. is this one:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1895/05930/4684069.pdf
which gives him an estimated birth year of 1853.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 23 08:23 BST (UK) »
There were a lot of Stephensons in the immediate area in question, however note that there is a marriage record for Clonguish Church of Ireland parish showing a John Stephenson and Margaret Wilson getting married on 17 September 1822, both bride and groom were residing at Killoe. Just a possibility.

There is a burial record for Clonbroney Church of Ireland parish showing a 59 year old John Stephenson who died or was buried on 08 May 1857, he died of a fever and his address was recorded as Clontumpton, which could be a mispelling / mistranscription of Clontumpher, again just a possibility.

Offline KMT123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 23 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for replying with these details.  I appreciate it and will follow the leads.  Thank you also, Queenie, for the information on how to make my posts better.  I do appreciate that as well :)

Respectfully,
KMT123