Author Topic: The will of William Scatcherd, 1595  (Read 504 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The will of William Scatcherd, 1595
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
I’m not quite clear about the level of agreement in this thread, but in my opinion ...

In all cases shown in the extract, the word (as written) is gimer (not guiner – please count the minims).

In the 1st instance in line 7, there is interference from sister in the line below; there is also a suspension bar above (slightly misplaced to the right) representing a 2nd m, giving gim(m)er.

In the 2nd instance in line 7, there is interference from then in the line above; also a slightly misplaced suspension bar above, again giving gim(m)er.

The 3rd instance (line 8 ) is very clearly gimer, with the suspension bar centred across the top – gim(m)er.

The term gimmer hogg is quite often encountered in wills and inventories, particularly from northern counties.

Any recommendadtions for any reading material to help with decipering secretary script and court-hand would be appreciated, preferably ones that have lots of examples.

In addition to all the resources pinned to the top of this Handwriting forum ...

... a very recent publication is Claire Jarvis, Teach Yourself Palaeography: a Guide for Genealogists and Local Historians (2022, The History Press, available from the usual outlets, at some good prices). This covers a wide variety of hands, English and some Latin, with exercises and solutions. The only drawback is that some of the images may be rather small for transcription practice. Depending on your eyesight, a good magnifier might be helpful. Or, if you have an e-reader, you could buy the e-book, where the images may be enlarged onscreen.

I hope this helps.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox, I have that one on my list to order, and I did actually take a look at the reference links at the head of forum.

But now, this is the last part of the will, and I freely admit that my one year of Latin does not quite stretch to making out the final lines. I have so far:

the {?ea??e} {be?} them for their better preferment. Moreover my mynd and will is that Allis
my doughter shall marrie {??}  by the advise of Mr Cirill Arthington my {maister} Richard
Arthington, Henry {Rich?}, and her two godmothers, Richard Ellis wife of Arthington, and
Richard Balis wife, or by the {?uitie} and {advice} of the {??} {??} {??} {??} my {maister} to be
and {??} {disten??} and marrieing contrarie to their well likeing, I freelie give and bequeath
my {said} lease to Mr Cirill Arthington esquier my said {maister} to have and enjoy to his owne prop{e}r
use, {??} {??} or {??} {??} twentie nobles in full {satisfaction} thereof. The residue of my {??}
my debts being {paid} and my funeral expences discharged I will and bequeath to Mr Cirill Arthington
Richard {Hutchinson} and Henry {Rich??} to the use benefit bespoke, and advanceme{nt} of my said
doughter  {??} I do constitute ordeyne and make {??} of this my last will and testament.
requiring {??} and {??} of {??}, and {??} my said {maister} by god take to be {this} my last will
and testament {??} {??} Et {decimo} sexto die {??} {??} May Anno die 1495 {Probati} fuit
{? … ?}
Cirill Arthington {? … ?}
{? … ?}

I am a little puzzled by the two dates that appear to refer to the will. The first, at the top, reads to me 1595, but the date at the bottom, which I assume is the date oif probate, is 1495.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 23:48 BST (UK) »
the terme betwist them

It looks as though the scribe began to write, possibly 'with', after 'shall marrie', and then changed his mind and crossed it out, and wrote 'by the advise of', so no other word there.

Henry Richcroft

? and advice of the greater p(ar)te thereof w(i)th my maister to be
one, otherwise she dissenting and marrieing contrarie to their well likeing

use, paieing to her, or her husband, twentie nobles

Henry Richcroft

doughter whome I do constitute ordeyne and make executor

requiring them and everie of them, and especiallie my said masiter for gods sake to see this my last said will
and testament trulie p(er)formed

By rights, if his daughter is executor, she should be termed executrix, but the ending here looks  more like 'or' to me.
No doubt someone will put me right!

Most of the words you have put in brackets as words you're not sure of, look to be correct, so I've not re-written all those out.
Still not worked out what that word before advice is.
It starts with a 'p', which could be an abbreviation for per, pre, par, etc.
Something like permit/permission - others may be know what it is.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 23:57 BST (UK) »
Still not worked out what that word before advice is.

privitie and advise

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 July 23 00:03 BST (UK) »
Well done Bookbox.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Online jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 July 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
Well done everyone, I apologise for muddying the waters. I was unable to edit or delete my post until it was too late..I have never seen guiner written before goldie61 mentioned it. I was trying to help with a possible explanation.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 July 23 13:59 BST (UK) »
The date at the bottom is 1595, but the first 5 is slightly malformed and it takes a close look to work it out.

The curved line in the bottom part is partly faint or missing, but you can just make out where it starts to go towards the left, which wouldn't be the case with a 4. Also, the top line is a bit too low, so that it's run into the top of the curved line, and the triangle so formed can be very easily mistaken for the top part of a 4.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 July 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, everyone for your help, but can anoyone help with the final few lines of Latin? I know that this relates to the grant of probate, but I would like to try and decipher the details. Also, 11th line up, "residue of my ??" I think it might be "said", but I'm not sure. The latin bit I have so far is

Et decimo sexto die {mensis}  May Anno die 1495 Probati fuit
{Quiod} {? … ?} {Henri??} Ric{h}croft {bessem} {??} {Sir} {C??d} {??} fuit {desiderato} {bonorum} {eiusdem} {defuncti}
Cirill Arthington {executor} {in} eodem {testmente} {??} {??}
{? … ?}
{? … ?} Ricardo Hutchinson {? … ?}

Struggling with the rest :(
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 July 23 19:00 BST (UK) »
Also, 11th line up, "residue of my ??" I think it might be "said", but I'm not sure.

The residewe of my said goods (squashed into the end of the line)