Author Topic: Major Dawson central school camp  (Read 177 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Major Dawson central school camp
« on: Wednesday 12 July 23 09:07 BST (UK) »
Morning All,

I've just discovered a distant relative who at the age of 12 was recorded on the 1921 census as being at Major Danson central school camp near west Pykes field (the summary says Mr Pyke's field) in Rothbury.

There appears to be over 60 people there, mostly young teenage boys but also a few girls, some married couples and right at the end of the list a couple of teachers from Jarrow central school and an inspector from the board of education

I've tried a google search for this place but can't find anything. Has anyone ever come across it before?

Was it an actual school camp or was this code for a work house or similar?

Thanks a lot,

Michael

Edit: title altered to help future searches
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Major Danson central school camp
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
A glance at the original images tells me that the name is Dawson rather than Danson. Arthur W Dawson.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 09:49 BST (UK) »
Major A W Dawson was at that time President of Jarrow and Hebburn Head Teachers Association.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot ShaunJ, that's a big help.

It's now brought up a blog about Jarrow Central School where someone mentions attending a summer camp run by him in Hexham. It sounds like it might be an actual camp, like a trip to High Borrans for those who have heard of it.

It also appears as if there are still summer camps run today under that name.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 10:26 BST (UK) »
The trick with the 1921 census for any sort of group/institution is to look at who is named on the address - that is the person in charge..
Now look at all the adults, note their occupation and employer - in this case it tells you a lot.

Find My Past have Teachers Registration Council records. You'll find Arthur William DAWSON on there and it shows he was (eventually) headmaster at Jarrow Central School. Newspaper searches also indicate he may well have been the Chairman of Jarrow British Legion - they may have more info on him if you want it.

It looks like your main interest was one of the children on the camp though, so if it helps I reckon it was a school trip camping in a field in Rothbury x amount of children accompanied by teachers.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Major Dawson central school camp
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Boo,

I think that's exactly what it is, very interesting.

Michael