Author Topic: Military Medal Award  (Read 347 times)

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military Medal Award
« on: Wednesday 12 July 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

could anyone please advise me how I may be able to find out what my Great-grandfather did in the first world war to earn his Military Medal?

His name was Frederick Walter Claydon (1888-1936) and he was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery, regimental number L/38160. He was also awarded the British and Victory medals. I believe he was in the 39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery.

He was one of 5 children born of George Claydon (Ag Lab) and Fanny Claydon (Nee Winch), and was born in Dengie, near Tillingham and Southminster. He married Emma Amelia Claydon (Nee Fletcher) on the 10th of October 1915.

We found his medal quite by surprise as no-one in the family was aware of the award until recently. His details are present on the supplement to the London Gazette dated the 23rd of August 1916.

A family member applied for his service records but were advised they have been lost. I think he was around the Somme area of France when he was awarded for his actions from reading the book '39th (Deptford) Divisional Artillery 1915-1918 by Lt-Col H.W Wiebkin M.C.' and the date from the London Gazette. His name however is not noted in the book.  I must stress though that I am not very well versed in military history research.

He may have been in the military before the war ( I believe the 'L' in his regimental number may refer to that) as his stepfather was in the military and an older brother joined the Navy aged about 12 around 1900. Frederick Walter is also in South Shoebury on the 1901 census where I believe there was an artillery barracks.

At the outbreak of the war he is living in Southwark, London.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Brian

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal Award
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
You'll have seen that he was serving with B Battery 184 Brigade RFA at the time of the award.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
"L" means that he was locally enlisted
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
Brian
The Gazette for 23rd August covers awards made between 28/6 and 23/7 1916

That's from Howard Williamsons Great War Medal companion
MM Citations were destroyed in WW2 Blitz - sometimes there are mentions in local newspapers of the time
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ,

Yes, but thank you for qualifying that. According to the aforementioned book the 184th Brigade was sent to Steenwerck and attached the 34th Artillery division on the 12th of March 1916. They were attached to them until the 24th of March.

On the 25th of March they were sent to the St Venant area. The 184th Brigade then joined the 38th divisional artillery on the 2nd of April.

On the 30th of June I believe they were involved in what was known as 'The Boar's head' Offensive. After this I believe they marched for three days south to St Michel, near St. Pol for brigade and divisional training on the 11th of Aug.

Training continued until the 24th of August, when the divisional artillery marched to the Bertrancourt area and on the 28th went in to the line between Beamont-Hammel and the river Ancre.

I have given the information before the publication date in the London Gazette as I have read it usually took about three months from the action meriting the award to it's average publication in the gazette. I don't know whether these dates and places could help anyone more knowledgeable than I to suggest anything.

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
"L" means that he was locally enlisted

Thank you for that nugget. Does locally enlisted mean he was enlisted to a regiment that was based where he lived near to? Sorry for my ignorance.

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
Brian

MM Citations were destroyed in WW2 Blitz - sometimes there are mentions in local newspapers of the time

Thank you MMM45. That's really helpful. Do you know whether they are cast iron dates, or an average he has worked out?

Offline BrianClaydon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:23 BST (UK) »
Brian

The 'Boar's head offensive' may well be a likely contender due to the date of 30th of June then. Thank you for narrowing it down so much.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:36 BST (UK) »
The 184 Bde War diary for 1916 is available from TNA (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C73541820) and confirms the artillery support for the Boar's Head operation. However there is absolutely no mention of any action / activity concerning B Bty which would have led to an MM being awarded. The battery were nowhere near the enemy and so we are left none the wiser about how it came to be awarded.