Author Topic: NRH on Scotland`s People  (Read 368 times)

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NRH on Scotland`s People
« on: Wednesday 12 July 23 19:22 BST (UK) »
I have a birth record on Scotland`s People site, but under the district it staes NRH.
What does NRH mean?
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
Re: NRH on Scotland`s People
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
copied from Scotlandspeople !

By visiting New Register House (NRH) - Edinburgh (Monday to Friday 0900 to 1630 hrs.)

Access to NRH costs £10.00 Sterling per day and there are discounted rates for longer periods. Each searcher is allocated a desk with a computer terminal on which to view the digitised images of statutory entries, OPRs and census returns, and  there are microfilm and fiche readers  for miscellaneous material in the various search rooms.  There are user-friendly computer indexes to the       statutory certificates, the census returns (1841-1901)  and the OPRs;  at  present the OPRs display only births and marriages but the small number of parish burial records which exists are scheduled to go on-line in late 2008.

There is no limit to the number of records which may be examined (on a self-service basis) within the time allocated.   Staff are on hand for advice.

Assisted searches will be available shortly at the rate of £20 per hour (in addition to the search fee) whereby a member of the staff of NRH will sit with a customer to help to trace a family tree for a maximum of two hours.   This service requires to be pre-booked.
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello

NRH stands for New Register House, which is the building in which the records are kept. It is used for certain records and the previous post I've linked to below suggests that for a birth record, it may relate to an adoption:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=869150.0

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NRH on Scotland`s People **Complete**
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your help.
I have a contact who visits Edinburgh and he could possibly have a look for me.
Thank you again. Much appreciated.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 23 09:57 BST (UK) »
I have a birth record on Scotland`s People site, but under the district it staes NRH.
What does NRH mean?
In the context of the Scotland's People birth indexes it means that the child was adopted.

The adoption certificate can be viewed in person at the Scotland's People Centre. It will give the child's date and country of birth, the names of the adoptive parents, the adoptive father's occupation, and the date of the adoption. It does not give any information about the child's biological parents.

Only the adopted child him/herself or her/his nominated agent is allowed to see the original birth certificate. See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/research-guides/research-guides-a-z/adoption-records
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.