Author Topic: 1850 Street Maps Bridgeton etc  (Read 650 times)

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
1850 Street Maps Bridgeton etc
« on: Wednesday 12 July 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
I am again returning to researching my brick wall.  Scotlands People kindly had a look and found the Petition filed by Margaret Burk in support of a Paternity Order against Robert Scott.  The child Jessie was born in 1849 but Petition was not brought until 1853 and they originally checked only 1849.  The additional information is Margaret Burk and Robert Scott had known each other for several years and in 1848 met in the evenings at the home of James McAllister Old Dalmarnock Road, Bridgeton where they became intimate.  According to Margaret she was courted with a view to marriage.  Ha Ha.  Robert would then walk her home to her mothers house at 200 Main Street, Bridgeton.  Interesting description of what took place, where (the Close), when and how often.  Robert admitted he was the father and paid some insignificant amounts before the Order was granted.   The Sheriffs officer in Glasgow Adam Dickson (and his brother James Dickson as witness) did not personally find Robert Scott at number 4 East Rose Street Glasgow but gave the documents to a servant at the address.  I cannot seem to manipulate the mapping on NLS or FindMyPast to triangilate these addresses  and would appreciate some assistance.  I have found a couple of McAllister, McAalster on the 1841 and 1851 Census on Dalmarnock and am looking for connections.  Is it possible to print a street map with Dalmarnock, Main and East Rose and secondly, the history of 4 East Rose Street as I do not see any Scotts or familar names on the Census.  Maybe a map would help narrow the number of Robert Scotts in the general area.  I am guessing 20-30 years old. Thank you for reading!  Anna
BARRIE - Rutherglen     BENNETT - Wigtown, Glasgow
BURKE  - Lanarkshire, Ireland   CAMERON - Renfrew
CURLE - Dumfries    FRATER - Lesmahagow 
GENTLES - Sterling    GOLDIE - Paisley
GRAHAM - Roxburgh    HASTIE -Edinburgh
KERR  - Glencorse and Cambuslang
LOWRIE - Rutherglen and Ireland
McDONALD - Edinburgh and Cambuslang
MOYIES - Rutherglen    PICKEN - Kilmarnock
RAEBURN - Kilmarnock, Glasgow    SCOTT - Glasgow

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1850 Street Maps Bridgeton etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 23 02:25 BST (UK) »
If found a East Rose Street in the Goad Maps of 1898-1899:

https://www.goadoldstreetmaps.com/shop/goad-old-street-map-469-east-rose-street-glasgow-scotland-march-1898/

It is now called Rose Street

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 July 23 03:09 BST (UK) »
Thx.  I would have to piece together the surrounding maps to find the other two streets and have no idea of direction.  Need to sleep on it.  Good night from Canada.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 July 23 08:16 BST (UK) »
Both Bridgeton Main Street and Old Dalmarnock Road are shown on this view of the 1860 25 inch OS map, Bridgeton area.

https://tinyurl.com/nhe8ezn4

In the linked view find Muslin Street running west to east at the very top. Its ends are defined by Main Street in the west and the curve of Old Dalmarnock Road in the east. These roads are still there on the modern map of Glasgow.

Added: See my next post for the location of East Rose Street.

Rose Street is too far away to the north west to be on this map. Here is a link to a zoomed in view of the 6 inch map from the same era:

https://tinyurl.com/33r4y6jw

with Rose Street running north-south parallel between Dalhousie Street and Cambridge Street. Before you zoom out to find Bridgeton on this map familiarise yourself with the shape of Cowcaddens Street because that is a good marker for the area. Now zoom out and look for the bend in the river that defines Glasgow Green, very near the bottom of the map: you should be able to see the curve of Old Dalmarnock Road to the east of the river.

Rose Street and Old Dalmarnock road are about two and a half miles apart, walking.

Added: is this the same Rose Street? I don’t know.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
So, Rose Street as identified in my previous post is the wrong street.

From address searches at FindMyPast I find that in 1851 there was indeed an East Rose Street much closer to Bridgeton, as shown on the linked side-by-side view:

https://tinyurl.com/c7d22jp4

It seems to correspond to Forbes Street on the modern map (compare the alignment with Millroad Street (on both maps) immediately to the west across Abercrombie Street. On modern maps Forbes Street is a 0.7 mile walk from Old Dalmarnock Road.

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 23 13:27 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Alan,

Thanks for finding these.  I have to be out for most of today but will have a good look when I’m home.

Anna

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 July 23 14:18 BST (UK) »
Rose Street (East) ran from James Street to Abercrombie street in Mile End - this Street was later renamed as indicated and became Forbes Street.(renamed during 1920's or early 30's)
(in 1850 there were two other streets named Rose Street one in Garnethill and the other in the Gorbals area.)

Rose Street (East) is shown as East Rose Street in this section of the 1857/58 ordnance survey map of Glasgow
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74416309

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 July 23 14:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you have already been down this rabbit hole, but according to FindMyPast address search, the numbering for East Rose Street starts at 12. And because this is the Scotland census (no images) it isn't possible to 'walk around' in East Rose Street to find out if there is a number 4.

At Scotlands People a search for Robert Scott aged 20 to 40 in 1851 for All Glasgow finds 28 hits. However, in Calton (this, I believe, is the modern district for Forbes Street) there are no hits.

The Margaret Burk, age 28, at 200 Main Street Bridgeton in the 1851 census is categorised at Scotlands People as being in Barony (which I don't understand because the 1851 census entry is Calton). At Scotlands People 1851 there are are eight Robert Scotts in Barony.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 July 23 16:57 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you have already been down this rabbit hole, but according to FindMyPast address search, the numbering for East Rose Street starts at 12. And because this is the Scotland census (no images) it isn't possible to 'walk around' in East Rose Street to find out if there is a number 4.
It is possible to 'walk' in 1841 and 1851 if you use either the original images on Scotland's People or the much better transcriptions at FreeCEN https://www.freecen.org.uk/ - which also, unlike the ones on FindMyPast, include the reference numbers and manage not to mangle the information in the page headers.

However the (historic/ecclesiastical) parish of Glasgow and the (historic/ecclesiastical) parish of Barony are mutually exclusive so if you search for records in Glasgow you won't get those in Barony and vice versa.

The Margaret Burk, age 28, at 200 Main Street Bridgeton in the 1851 census is categorised at Scotlands People as being in Barony (which I don't understand because the 1851 census entry is Calton).
Calton is in effect a subdivision of Barony for the purpose of civil registration and for the census. In 1851 it was not an ecclesiastical/historic parish in its own right, and it doesn't feature in the indexes to the 1851 census on SP, though it may be in the page headers.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.