Author Topic: Industrial School in Mullaghmonaghan  (Read 134 times)

Offline Lemonjelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Industrial School in Mullaghmonaghan
« on: Thursday 13 July 23 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Does anyone know anything about the Industrial school in Mullaghmonaghan, County Monaghan? It was also called St Martha's, part of St Louis' Convent and the head nun was called Mother Farrell. I'm hoping that I've found a potential relative who was shown to be there in the 1911 census. She was 12 years old and described as an industrial child born in Fermanagh. It would help to know if any records have survived from that time and it they have, where  they are held.

Thank you in advance for anything you might be able to tell me.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial School in Mullaghmonaghan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 July 23 11:33 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

From the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer, (using the MapGenie 25 Inch map in Basemap Gallery) here's the townland of Mullaghmonaghan and the St Loui's Convent. Notice in the grounds and just to the north, several school buildings.

https://arcg.is/qr1Sz

Have you contacted Monaghan County Library Headquarters (Local History & Genealogical Research) who may be able to assist you?

https://monaghan.ie/library/library-headquarters/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Lemonjelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial School in Mullaghmonaghan
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 July 23 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan for that suggestion and for the links. I've just sent the library an email.

I always thought my family were from Down and Antrim but DNA testing shows them to be from Monaghan, Fermanagh and Scotland. So, whole new areas to explore. Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes
Lemonjelly