Author Topic: SA Cheltenham Cemetery photos wanted - Bampton & Finn  (Read 209 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SA Cheltenham Cemetery photos wanted - Bampton & Finn
« on: Thursday 13 July 23 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Adelaideans

I'm looking for headstone photos for the following people (from Cheltenham Cemetery).

I'm hoping someone out there has some! Both sites have been redeveloped and there are no photos available when I've searched FindAGrave, Google and Ancestry.

Also, if you happen to know any more about these people than what I've shown below (particularly about their pre-emigration Ireland lives, or what happened to John Finn), that would be hugely helpful!

Bridget Ann(e) Bampton (nee Finn)
  • Born about 1850/1851 in Ireland
  • Emigrated to SA aboard the Stamboul in 1858, from Tipperary, Ireland
  • Married Joseph Robertson Bampton in SA in 1866
  • Died 14 Feb 1883, age 32

Nora(h) Finn (nee Unknown)
  • Bridget's mother
  • Full first name was Honora
  • d. 23 Oct 1898 in Queenstown (age 88, per death record, or about 73, per immigration record)
  • Emigrated to SA in 1858 aboard the Stamboul, from Tipperary, Ireland
  • Husband was John Finn, but we don't know what happened to him - except for the fact that he died before Nora
  • Her newspaper funeral notice referred to her burial as Woodville Catholic Cemetery, but the old gravesite shows as Cheltenham Cemetery on ACA. I'm not familiar with the Woodville Catholic Cemetery and whether it was a section of Cheltenham Cemetery or otherwise.

It's not clear whether Bridget and Nora were buried together (Bridget's husband Joseph Robertson Bampton didn't pass away until 1904 - six years after his mother-in-law).

The Adelaide Cemeteries Authority database shows Nora's record but doesn't give a map location or site reference.

Thanks and crossing fingers!
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SA Cheltenham Cemetery photos wanted - Bampton & Finn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 23 11:18 BST (UK) »
I would recommend to inquire them for a search for the grave. This is where you can do it:

https://aca.sa.gov.au/locations/cheltenham-cemetery/

Offline seeking0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 23 09:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, contacting cemetery management via the Enquiry form on their website is the way to go. Before management has a grave site destroyed they take a photo of the headstone(s), if any.
Yes, Cheltenham Cemetery used to be referred to as "the Woodville Cemetery" and the funeral notice means the burial was in the Catholic section.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 23 10:43 BST (UK) »
Some years ago photographs were taken of the surviving headstones at Cheltenham and the database does not show headstones for your people of interest. 

Death notice for Bridget
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197782293

In Memoriam for Nora mentioning grand daughters
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article209516092
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions! Great idea to contact the ACA. Here's hoping they photographed the ones I'm after 😊
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young