Author Topic: Wallabies  (Read 384 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallabies
« on: Friday 14 July 23 12:30 BST (UK) »
After a thermal-imaging project earlier this year, the wallaby population of the Isle of Man has reached 570! ;D
These are Red-Necked Wallabies, which originally escaped from the Wildlife Park in the 1970s.

More research to be done to assess impact on other species, especially hen-harriers.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Wallabies
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
Five Bennett's Wallabies escaped from a private zoo in the Peak District in 1940. They supposed grew to a population of about 50, but sightings have been very sparse in recent years. An extremely cold winter was probably done for them.

I had not heard of the Manx population, but their survival is almost certainly because of the milder climate there.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
Slightly larger than a wallaby, and in Australia  :-* :-*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-65912350

When we visited Australia back in 2010, we stayed on a number of campsites.  One of them was also home to kangaroos etc. and one evening we were well entertained by a mother and baby.  Mum wanted to clean out the pouch, but baby did not agree.  After being thrown out on numerous occasions, finally baby dived in head first, and mum gave up!!!  Altogether a very interesting and enjoyable visit.  Thank you!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
Five Bennett's Wallabies escaped from a private zoo in the Peak District in 1940. They supposed grew to a population of about 50, but sightings have been very sparse in recent years. An extremely cold winter was probably done for them.

I had not heard of the Manx population, but their survival is almost certainly because of the milder climate there.

The ones in the Peak District were around the Roaches (just north of Leek). Never actually seen one myself but I have seen photographs. The last I heard (from a reliable source - about 20 years ago) was that they’d actually died out.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
The Manx wallabies can mainly be found in The Curraghs, a wetlands area.
It is believed that they inhabit similar ares to hares.

Personally, I have never seen one, but they are very secretive.
There have been reported sightings across the island.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)