Author Topic: Solicitor’s Records?  (Read 157 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Solicitor’s Records?
« on: Friday 14 July 23 16:28 BST (UK) »

I’m trying to track down whether any records remain for this firm of Solicitors.

They were Frank Thomas and Andrews, practicing in Llanfair, Swansea until at least the 1940’s.

What does happen to Solicitor’s records when they cease to practice, does anyone on here know?

Cheers, Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Solicitor’s Records?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 July 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware  there were no fixed rules about what should happen to the archives of a solicitor's firm when it closed down. Obviously they would contain a lot of sensitive, legally privileged information which would no doubt have been destroyed. Your best bet is to check whether the local county records office holds any of the firm's less sensitive papers.
Another option is to try and find out if another firm of solicitors took over the first firm's clients, in which case they or their successors may be able to help. However I think you will be very lucky to find that much survives after 80 odd years unless it was donated to the county record office.
These days the Law Society has detailed guidance on how solicitors' firms need to meet the requirements of GDPR.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Solicitor’s Records?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 July 23 16:58 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for your reply Andy, much appreciated.

I’ll try contacting the West Glamorgan Archives in Swansea.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.