Author Topic: Helen Campbell died 1916 to 1919  (Read 621 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Campbell died 1916 to 1919
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 July 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 July 23 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
These are my Ancestors, thanks Monica.
Duncan and one daughter appear the 1861 Census.  Duncan dies later in 1861.  Cannot find his grave.  Helen must have died outside of Scotland as Neale suggests..
Thanks to everyone for their assistance.
Regards
clancam37
I think this is Helen Campbell with her parents in 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1543ccf4040b9d6e54e4b8/helen-campbell-1851-perthshire-blairgowrie-1839-?locale=en

Monica

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 August 23 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
Search for death of James Baxter revealed his death 5th March 1881. see attachment.
Still searching for Helen Robertson and Helen Campbell deaths
Regards
clancam37

Looking at the "Notes:"

there are death dates for all, except Helen ROBERTSON, Helen CAMPBELL, James BAXTER.

How does this give a death range 1916-1919 for Helen ROBERTSON, the name that you used for your search?

If you search for "Helen CAMPBELL "   and   "James BAXTER"  what death dates does that return?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 August 23 08:39 BST (UK) »
My attachment quotes the age range 1916-1919 near the top of the reference.
That attachment is from Ancestry, not from a primary source, and therefore not to be relied on. There is nothing in the quoted information to constrain either Helen's date of death.

From the gravestone inscription, they could have died between the 1851 census and the start of civil registration in 1855.

Do not trust anything you find on Ancestry or other commercial web sites unless it is an image of an original document.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 August 23 08:58 BST (UK) »
Better transcription here:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/211457316/robert-baxter
Much better, but still not 100%.

The second, smaller stone, has been transcribed as <<In memory of Isabella Baxter widow of the above James Baxter farmer, Longleys & cottage Cupar Angus died 20th February 1915 aged 83
also their son who died at Hovf 6th January 1900 aged **>>

I read it as <<In memory of Isabella Baxter widow of the above James Baxter farmer, Longleys & "The Cottage" Coupar Angus died 20th February 1915 aged 83 also their son John who died at Hove 6th January 1900 aged **>>

There is a death of a John Baxter, aged 40, in Steyning, Sussex, England in the March quarter of 1900. The Steyning registration district includes Hove.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 August 23 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Forafarian,
Thanks for your replies and for your comments to rely only on a primary source.
Much appreciated.
Regards
clancam37
Better transcription here:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/211457316/robert-baxter
Much better, but still not 100%.

The second, smaller stone, has been transcribed as <<In memory of Isabella Baxter widow of the above James Baxter farmer, Longleys & cottage Cupar Angus died 20th February 1915 aged 83
also their son who died at Hovf 6th January 1900 aged **>>

I read it as <<In memory of Isabella Baxter widow of the above James Baxter farmer, Longleys & "The Cottage" Coupar Angus died 20th February 1915 aged 83 also their son John who died at Hove 6th January 1900 aged **>>

There is a death of a John Baxter, aged 40, in Steyning, Sussex, England in the March quarter of 1900. The Steyning registration district includes Hove.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 August 23 07:46 BST (UK) »
The usual reason for a date of death not being included in a gravestone is that the person named died long enough before the erection of the stone for the family to have forgotten the exact date. For example, children who died young may be added to a stone which is erected when a parent eventually dies.

In my opinion the most likely explanation is that Helen Campbell died as a child some time between the date of the 1851 census and the end of 1854.

If so, it is just possible that the Kirk Session records of Blairgowrie, Meigle or Coupar Angus might contain a record of a mortcloth payment.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 August 23 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,
Good thought. will check mortcloth payments on SP

Re your other comment  "is this a continuation of another question .... ".
Not really, I'm just searching other possible clues.
Thanks for your help, I have appreciated your sage advice to my questions over the years.
Regards
clancam37