Author Topic: HAWKINS family of Leeds  (Read 610 times)

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HAWKINS family of Leeds
« on: Saturday 15 July 23 03:22 BST (UK) »
Good morning

Francis Hawkins bc 1788-1791 in Ireland and enlisted in the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1801 he married Mary (perhaps Doolan/Dooling/Mullins??) (whose father name unknown atm) was also in the 5th Dragoons at an earlier time. 

Francis was given a pension at his discharge in 1821.  His death occurred May of 1847 in Leeds.....but cannot find his burial.  Can someone help with the possiblity of Catholic records of that time.  I have found quite a number of C of E...but the Catholic records seem to be few and far between.

A little more information on the family .

The family were Catholics as mentioned - the first couple of children seemed to have been born in Ireland, but the other's in Leeds , and there are a number of the Hawkins family who were transported to Australia...among them a daughter Frances, James, Elisabeth and Jane at the time being!.  Frances (daughter) married into the Gavenlock family in Australia - but prior to that she also had an illegitimate daughter Mary Ann Hawkins/Dixon/Dickson - who was also transported to VDL in 1848 who married into my Foster family in Tasmania.

So any information regarding the Leeds Church records would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Webby
 :)
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HAWKINS family of Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 23 11:08 BST (UK) »
Only yesterday I read that FindMyPast have just added a collection of Roman Catholic records for the Diocese of Leeds.

T&Cs don't allow us to do lookups, but you should be able to search these if you have a subscription, or alternatively many public libraries offer free access to FindMyPast.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 23 11:19 BST (UK) »
A family tree has a baptism for Elizabeth Hawkins 25 Dec 1823 parents Francis & Mary
Catholic under "England & Wales non-conformist and non-parochial registers 1567-1936"

Leeds St Mary's Lady Lane (Catholic) 1780-1827 the record appears to come from
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 July 23 11:57 BST (UK) »
St Mary Chapel, Leeds
Bapts;
FRANCIS Hawkins  (male) 28 Jan 1827
HANNAH Hawkins 19 Jun 1829
Parents FRANCIS/MARY

+
St Patrick, Leeds
GEORGE Hawkins 6 Feb 1832 same Parents names

Above on FreeREG

I can see his Death Reg but cant seem to find him or the younger children in 1841 Census?

HAWKINS, FRANCIS age 70 
GRO Reference: 1847  J Quarter in LEEDS  Volume 23  Page 346

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 July 23 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.....it looks as though I might have to pay for some info from FindMyPast!.  I've applied for Francis' death certificate - that might (?) add a little more. 

The 1841 Census is not showing the younger Hawkins family...most of the elder kids had been transported by then lol!. But still a mystery as to where the others ended up -  including wife Mary!

Again, thanks for your input.

Cheers

Webby  :)
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 July 23 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.....it looks as though I might have to pay for some info from FindMyPast!.  I've applied for Francis' death certificate - that might (?) add a little more.

I don't know what else might be on your to-do list, but please don't rush into spending money there on the basis of what I wrote above:
Only yesterday I read that FindMyPast have just added a collection of Roman Catholic records for the Diocese of Leeds.

Millipede's answer is actually far more useful:
A family tree has a baptism for Elizabeth Hawkins 25 Dec 1823 parents Francis & Mary
Catholic under "England & Wales non-conformist and non-parochial registers 1567-1936"

Leeds St Mary's Lady Lane (Catholic) 1780-1827 the record appears to come from

I haven't actually been able to see anything useful in FindMyPast's Leeds RC collection, as it seems that for some reason the St Mary's registers are in this separate collection at the National Archives. The collection is mostly protestant non-conformist registers, so I was rather surprised to see them there, but you can find the list for yourself in TNA's catalogue:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=leeds%20st%20mary&_cr=rg4&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

(If that doesn't work, do an advanced search for Leeds St Mary in class RG4.)

These RG4 collections are available at FindMyPast, but they're at Ancestry and The Genealogist too, so if you have a sub at either of those you won't need FindMyPast as well. Building on what Trish posted, there may have been 6 children's baptisms at St Mary's; one of them had a different mother's name, but I suspect it's a clerical error.

Unfortunately I didn't find any burial record for Francis. The other site which is always worth looking at for Leeds records is Yorkshire Burials (free, but you need to register), but again, I couldn't see him.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 July 23 11:20 BST (UK) »
.  I've applied for Francis' death certificate - that might (?) add a little more.

£2.50 for a digital image from the GRO, available straight away.

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 July 23 00:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks for that....just saw that on the site, so have applied for a couple of others.   

Cheers

Webby :D
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 July 23 00:37 BST (UK) »
Should just add that the certificates for overseas are 7 pounds for the digital version and 14 pounds for the postal order.

So can only get them when absolutely ran out of options....LOL!!. ;D

Webby 
Rice - Portland,Dorset