Author Topic: Eton parish baptism record image - trouble finding!  (Read 184 times)

Offline Kate-Birchtree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eton parish baptism record image - trouble finding!
« on: Saturday 15 July 23 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I've managed to find a baptism record for an ancestor baptised in Eton in 1820 (George Bampton) - record found on FindMyPast (transcription only).

However, I'm hoping to view the original parish record image and can't seem to locate a repository online where they might be available.

Ancestry and FamilySearch don't even appear to have this baptism in their database at all. As mentioned, FindMyPast only has the transcription.

I've searched across a few genealogy guide websites (including FamilySearch wiki for Buckinghamshire) but I haven't had any luck finding a possible avenue for consistent coverage of the transcriptions, let alone the original images.

Do they exist and are they publicly available? Hoping somebody can help me out!

Thanks for your help!

P.S. My key question is finding out George Brampton's age/DOB, and I'm hoping the baptism image will offer this detail. Based on other records, I have a suspicion he was around 2-3 years old when he was baptised, but I'm hoping to verify this. If you happen to know this bit of information, that makes things even easier! 😊
Adair, Ager, Anderson, Angel, Ayles, Badenoch, Bampton, Bannister, Bedell/Beadle/Beadel, Beresford, Bird, Blaesing, Brown, Butterworth, Clements, Eaton, Elston, Finn, Frith, Green, Groom, Hales, Hance, Heudebourck, Hollis, Maple, Menzel, Nancarrow, Noble, Oakley, Peed, Porter, Prior, Roberts, Sands, Scarlet(t), Sharples, Smith, Stickles/Stickells, Stokes, Sur(r)idge, Thurston, Tiver, Tulloch, Wade, Weeden, Wood, Young

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eton parish baptism record image - trouble finding!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 23 06:45 BST (UK) »
Notes below entry on FindMyPast say

“ The Buckinghamshire baptism index was created from the original records held at the Buckinghamshire Archives. ”

If you are overseas, it might be worth contacting the archive directly to ask them to send you an image

https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/culture-and-tourism/archives/discover-your-family-history/

But I would say a 2 or 3 year discrepancy in age in this period is nothing.  It wasn’t as important to know your precise date let alone year of birth then. 

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 23 07:28 BST (UK) »
P.S. My key question is finding out George Brampton's age/DOB, and I'm hoping the baptism image will offer this detail. Based on other records, I have a suspicion he was around 2-3 years old when he was baptised, but I'm hoping to verify this. If you happen to know this bit of information, that makes things even easier! 😊

Are you assuming that a date of birth will be on the baptism record?
Not that common, on the baptism records I have seen.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 July 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
This baptism is also on Ancestry (England Select Births and Christenings 1538-1975).
Bapt 10 Dec 1820.

A tree on Geneanet gives a birth of 1817 (not exact day and month so may be an estimate) - death 27 Aug 1895 Alberton South Australia - spouse Catherine Robertson.
Parents Joseph and Lydia (no surname for Lydia).
(I presume you already know this)

Baptism is also on Freereg, but no date of birth given. Bapt St John the Evangelist, Elton.

FHL no 1999200
ref ID: 54
If you need to go down that route.