Author Topic: dead…but not listed as deceased?  (Read 265 times)

Offline scottishlad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
dead…but not listed as deceased?
« on: Saturday 15 July 23 23:17 BST (UK) »
Any reason why somebody wouldn’t be listed as deceased on a marriage certificate? George’s wife is listed as a widow in 1861, but on all of their children’s marriage certificates over the next 20 years he’s not listed as deceased - even when four other people are listed as deceased on the same form as him.

Is there any reason for that? I’d say maybe they just ran out of room, but they didn’t and other names are squished in order to accommodate the deceased clarifier. Was that information provided by the family and not necessarily vetted? I guess they just didn’t say he was deceased even though he was? Just seems odd.

Also, on one of the forms where they would have put deceased, they instead put (Yorkshire). I’ve never seen that before. Why would they put a location after his name?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: dead…but not listed as deceased?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 23 23:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have a death certificate establishing he was decased at the times in question, or are you just relying on his wife being noted as widow on the census?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scottishlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 23 23:32 BST (UK) »
Do you have a death certificate establishing he was decased at the times in question, or are you just relying on his wife being noted as widow on the census?

Just relying on that. I’ve never been able to find any documents on him and neither has anybody else who’s looked into it or tried to help. Every now and then I build up the energy to try again with a new approach hahah and this was something that stood out to me

The first mention of him being (deceased) on a form is 1872 when his wife died. But that still doesn’t explain why his children’s marriage certificates don’t before then and after

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 23 07:19 BST (UK) »
It has never been obligatory to put "deceased" against a father's name on a marriage certificate. ;)
It rather depends on whether the question was asked, and the response given by the informant.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 23 07:31 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find his death certificate?
One possibility is that he didn’t die but “left” his wife!!!!
Glasgow Warriors
Allotment
Walking the dog.
Reading
Family History
Researching...Brockett, Muir, McLeod, Ross