Author Topic: 75 Newport  (Read 342 times)

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
75 Newport
« on: Sunday 16 July 23 12:30 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway I can find out who the residents were of 75 Newport, Lincoln in 1897 up until 1899?

I know that my great grandmother Ann Eliza Harrison gave birth to her son, Bertie there on the 22nd May. The informant was a Rebecca Finch and she was an occupier of the address but I'm intrigued to find out in what capacity. My Eliza (think that was the name she was using) was a domestic servant so I'd like to find out if Rebecca was her employer and then whether she remained in the house.

In 1899 she marries my great grandfather, Joseph Taylor and by 1901 is living in Sutton Bridge.

Thank you

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 75 Newport
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Finch was the wife of John Finch, baker, at 74 Newport in the 1901 census.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 23 12:42 BST (UK) »
Rebecca Finch was the wife of John Finch, baker, at 74 Newport in the 1901 census.

Thank you. So it looks like Rebecca was more than likely her employer then. I thought perhaps she was. She was obviously a good one as Eliza was unmarried so she didn't turn her out on the streets as some would have done.

However there is a question as to whether Eliza was a widow (apparently this is how she lists herself on the marriage certificate to my great grandfather) however there is no married name or father on her son's birth certificate.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 23 13:00 BST (UK) »

Thank you. So it looks like Rebecca was more than likely her employer then. I thought perhaps she was. She was obviously a good one as Eliza was unmarried so she didn't turn her out on the streets as some would have done.

However there is a question as to whether Eliza was a widow (apparently this is how she lists herself on the marriage certificate to my great grandfather) however there is no married name or father on her son's birth certificate.

To avoid duplication, this is already being discussed on this post
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=874574.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 23 13:37 BST (UK) »
From the Lincolnshire Chronicle of 21 May 1909. The Finches had indeed been across the street at 75 Newport before moving to 74:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meggiejayne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 July 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Clearly found himself on hard times then which would probably explain why they seemed to be supportive of my great grandmother's position. Mind you I do wonder how she got herself in that position because she wasn't a young slip of a girl at the time. She was 34 and to all intents quite a formidable woman.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 July 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
In 1897 directory, 74 Newport was the premises of W SCOTT baker, next door to the Stags Head (kept by my family).

It was on the opposite side of the road from No.75.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.