Author Topic: Mullaghsandal families in early 1800s  (Read 496 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mullaghsandal families in early 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 August 23 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that extra on Eliza McCafferty's teacher Alexander Brennan.

In case others are interested, I have found that Eliza's  parents Bernard McCafferty and Catherine McGill were married 30 Dec 1821 Carrickfergus and Larne by dispensation, which opens up another question to local researchers but that seems to be blacked by a smudge.

Also located Eliza McCaggerty's baptism 15 Aug 1839 at Feystown RC Chapel on Glenarm Road, with Peggy McAlister as the sole sponsor. A little different to the age of 20 given when she married Joseph Peoples 4 Feb 1862 Larne Presbyterian.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 September 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
Felix McKillop's book "Townlands, People and Traditions" is a treasure trove of information about the history of this part of the East Antrim area.  There are references to the surnames you mention.  Mullaghsandal has its own section (about 30 pages) including details of the three clachans in the townland named Cruck, Ligg and Cullyvully.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 September 23 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Glenn
I have recently made contact with Felix; extremely helpful.
Since early posts, I have made my way up the hills, sometimes getting bogged on which track leads to the McCaffertys; the Magills; the McAlisters; the Boormans; the Mulvennas as at the end of the track, they are certainly well known to each other.
However, by going wide, I am coming up with some answers. At least, I now can prove that my great grandmother Eliza McCafferty of Killyglen was bp 1839 Feystown RC; went to school in Mullaghsandal; worked in Mullaghsandal to 1862 (on grandfather or relatives' farms); and emigrated to Aus in 1864 with husband Joseph Peoples of Killyglen.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 September 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
I'm delighted that you found Felix.  He is the acknowledged expert on that part of East Antrim.  Good luck with your onward research.