Author Topic: Robert Hood & Elizabeth Watters, Sorn, Ayrshire  (Read 893 times)

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Hood & Elizabeth Watters, Sorn, Ayrshire
« on: Sunday 16 July 23 15:50 BST (UK) »
hi
can anyone help with further information on my great great grand parents please?

the only info I have is on the birth record of their son in Sorn Ayrshire ( CH3/409/2 416 )Irvine Relief...  which I have quoted below

"Robert natural son of Robert Hood collier Hunterfield, Gorebridge, near Edinburgh & Elizabeth Watters, Stanecastle Gate, near Irvine. was born 15th December past (1853) and baptised twenty-fifth instant (June 1854) "

the son  Robert married in 1876   (644.10 180)....Both parents were marked as deceased .

I dont know if Elizabeth and Robert married? the minister hasn't used the words "lawful son or

daughter" for anyone on the church record book most just say son or daughter but in Roberts case

it does say "natural" son... I also noticed at the top where the record number is it says Irvine Relief

is that something like poor relief ?? can someone explain that to me too?

as regards census records so far I've only managed to get the son Robert on the 1881.1891.1901 staying in New Keppochhill road Glasgow.. I've a couple more in my shoebox that at first sight look like they may him but the occupations just dont fit (I know people change jobs) or grandparents have wrong surnames?? anything anyone can add to any of the above I'd be most grateful

thanks
sofee
Caithness/Sutherland;-Mackay/Mckay, Manson, Scott, Fraser,
Ayrshire;-Hood, McCrone, McCallum, Dunlop
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks
Glenbervie,Kincardine;-Officer

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Hood & Elizabeth Watters, Sorn, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
Robert is certainly illegitimate. It would be worth looking to see if there are kirk session minutes for Irvine, which might give further details. The Relief Kirk was an additional church built to supplement the accommodation in the parish kirk.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 23 16:37 BST (UK) »
Robert is certainly illegitimate. It would be worth looking to see if there are kirk session minutes for Irvine, which might give further details. The Relief Kirk was an additional church built to supplement the accommodation in the parish kirk.
hi GR2
Thanks for that info ...I'm not sure how to go about getting kirk session minutes for Irvine  anyone any ideas please?
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 23 16:42 BST (UK) »
Here is a possible for Elizabeth Waters in 1851 census
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027a9de9379091b11b8fa1/eliz-waters-1851-ayrshire-ayr-1837-?locale=en

And a wee picture
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stanecastlegatehouse.JPG

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a141e5df4040b9d6e078845/elizabeth-waters-1841-ayrshire-dundonald-1837-?locale=en
Wow!!!! Neale1961 I think you've got her!! the son Robert went on to have a fair sized family but his first son has the middle name Torrance so that would fir with your findings eh? great picture too
how did you get that so quick ? lol  ;D Ive been searching years . thanks so much i really appreciate that thanks
sofee :-*
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 July 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I could see no kirk sessions in Irvine for the date of your interest.

The middle name Torrence is a very good sign however, so those census records look good for the mother then. :)

Added - i am currently working on a tiny screen. When i get back to my laptop, i will look further for you. Someone else will probably come along with more info before that. :D
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 July 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I could see no kirk sessions in Irvine for the date of your interest.

The middle name Torrence is a very good sign however, so those census records look good for the mother then. :)

Yes the name Torrance looks A VERY good sign and those census records you got look spot on.
no sign of a marriage  to Robert Hood after child born in 1853 couldnt find the child Robert  in 1861 or 1871 or of his father Robert ....maybe he didnt stay around?
thanks again Neale1961 i appreciate your time helping me out
sofee
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 July 23 17:12 BST (UK) »
Jean Torrance born 1804 Kilmarnock daughter of James Torrnce and Elizabeth Barclay.

Jean Torrence married John Waters in 1825 in Irvine.

Offline SOFEE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 July 23 17:20 BST (UK) »
Jean Torrance born 1804 Kilmarnock daughter of James Torrnce and Elizabeth Barclay.

Jean Torrence married John Waters in 1825 in Irvine.

your on the ball today Neale that sounds fab...i noticed in those census records in 1851 my Elizabeth was 14 so she gave birth to her son Robert 1853 she would be 16yrs ...I know Census records aren't always accurate with ages or years of birth...I'll see if i can get the records that match your findings on Scotland's people

thanks again  :-*
Dundee;-O'Fee
Co Antrim;- O'Fee, Marks