Author Topic: Scottish naming pattern  (Read 414 times)

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish naming pattern
« on: Sunday 16 July 23 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I was wondering if there are any Scottish naming patterns? Like naming the first born son based after the father's father..i.e. John Smith, son of James Smith and Jane Smith, James Smith's father's name was John Smith. Hope I explained that right..Thank you for your time.

Tamara
Kelly, Weatherhead, Wagner, Russell, Smiles (Smailes)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish naming pattern
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 23 19:06 BST (UK) »

Have a look at the link-
The traditional Scottish naming system
https://scottishkin.com/the-traditional-scottish-naming-system

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 23 22:30 BST (UK) »
I found that if there was a fourth son it was named after the father's oldest brother, similarly fourth daughter named after it's mother's oldest sister.

A family I researched had eighteen children and I recognised many of the youngest children's names as being:-

(1) the father's employer and
(2) many of the mother's girl friends, who were daughters of influential locals..
(3) If a widower married again his new wife would name a daughter after the first wife if she had died prior to a daughter carrying her name.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 23 02:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, much appreciated!

Have a look at the link-
The traditional Scottish naming system
https://scottishkin.com/the-traditional-scottish-naming-system

Offline tamarakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 23 02:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info! Have you ever come across a name, that has middle names not associated (that I could find) with the family? For example, I have a 4x great aunt, that was christened by the name of Barbara Christopher Fardy Ferguson Weatherhead. The "Christopher Fardy Ferguson" part of the name confuses me as those names are not in the family tree, could this be a friend of the family or someone he worked with. Barbara's father was a sailor/mariner in the 18th century.

I found that if there was a fourth son it was named after the father's oldest brother, similarly fourth daughter named after it's mother's oldest sister.

A family I researched had eighteen children and I recognised many of the youngest children's names as being:-

(1) the father's employer and
(2) many of the mother's girl friends, who were daughters of influential locals..
(3) If a widower married again his new wife would name a daughter after the first wife if she had died prior to a daughter carrying her name.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 23 05:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info! Have you ever come across a name, that has middle names not associated (that I could find) with the family?

Hello, yes I have a couple that have middle names not associated with family.   One being the ship they came out on,  another named after a captain on another ship, and another with a country as middle name. 

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 23 05:48 BST (UK) »
I have two Scottish relatives with middle names ( Christian names and surnames ) who are named after their birth fathers .

Mother did not marry til 3rd child

She seems to have hedged her bets with one child who has 2 Christian names and 2 surnames before her own surname

One was a married man the other a man she lived with in following census

DNA has shown connection is to the married man.

Could your great aunt have been adopted into the family ?
It's always worth looking for the baptism record as well as the birth record to see if their are any differences and which of the names she used inlater life ..if any were dropped
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson