Author Topic: Date of death lookup  (Read 698 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Date of death lookup
« on: Monday 17 July 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Hoping someone can help find the death date/ location for ANN BROOKS for me please. As i don't have a subscription at the moment, but want to purchase her death certificate.

Born ANN TRAYNOR circa 1813 in Ireland the daughter of Cornelius Traynor and Mary Traynor. She firstly married Joseph Bancroft in Manchester, England around 1832 and had five children with him including Emma (born 1839) and Eliza (born 1842). Joseph i believe died in 1848 and Ann then married James Brooks (surname also referred to as Stephenson in certain documents such as the 1851 census). In the 1851 census James, Ann and children are living with Ann's parents Cornelius and Mary in Manchester. In the 1861 census, James, Ann and children (this time called Brooks) are living at 39 Longworth Street Manchester with Ann's daughter Emma also present. I'm not sure of any censuses after this date involving Ann.

I believed Ann died in Manchester in 1867 and i purchased the death certificate only to see that this Ann was the widow of a George Brooks, woollen cloth manufacturer. So the wrong person.

Thanks for your help,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of death lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 23 15:51 BST (UK) »

In the 1861 census, James, Ann and children (this time called Brooks) are living at 39 Longworth Street Manchester with Ann's daughter Emma also present.

Can you find the rest of the family in 1871?  That should confirm if James was married or widowed for example. 

Am assuming you have looked under both surnames for Ann. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date of death lookup (England)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
Doesn't quite add up does it  :-\

If I am looking at the right birth registration for Martha Brooks born Stockport Mar 1853 the mothers maiden name is down as Bancroft not Traynor. 

When did she marry James Brooks?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 July 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
Doesn't quite add up does it  :-\

If I am looking at the right birth registration for Martha Brooks born Stockport Mar 1853 the mothers maiden name is down as Bancroft not Traynor. 

When did she marry James Brooks?

Hi Milliepede,

Thanks for your responses. James Brooks and Ann married in 1851 at Manchester. Not sure why in the 1851 census they were called Stephenson but its obviously them with the correct places of birth and first names. I cant remember having found an 1871 census for them, and if i did it might just have been a widowed James. But cant be certain of that.

Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 23 17:35 BST (UK) »
The 1851 marriage is on Ancestry it confirms Ann Bancrofts father as Cornelius Traynor but does not take place until early May - the 1851 census was taken at the end of March.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
The 1851 marriage is on Ancestry it confirms Ann Bancrofts father as Cornelius Traynor but does not take place until early May - the 1851 census was taken at the end of March.

Rosie99,

Thanks thats good to know. Possibly why they used Stephenson as a surname. To cover up that they weren't married yet? Im not too sure.

Pendlelad
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 23 17:43 BST (UK) »
Not sure why in the 1851 census they were called Stephenson but its obviously them with the correct places of birth and first names.
James and Ann were incredibly common forenames for every place of birth. I think this may be an assumption too far, although I haven't looked at the census sheets.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 July 23 17:55 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws - Is this young Alfred that appears in 1851 with them  :-\

BANCROFT, ALFRED  NEALE     - 
GRO Reference: 1850  Dec Quarter in MANCHESTER  Volume 20  Page 672

Baptism transcript at Cheetham 03 Jun 1851 gives parents as James Bancroft and Ann Tayno  ::)
Date of birth 22 Oct 1850

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 July 23 17:58 BST (UK) »
Not sure why in the 1851 census they were called Stephenson but its obviously them with the correct places of birth and first names.
James and Ann were incredibly common forenames for every place of birth. I think this may be an assumption too far, although I haven't looked at the census sheets.

Address on marriage is 26 Hanover Street which ties in with 1851 census