Author Topic: Wakefield Quarter sessions 1729  (Read 155 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wakefield Quarter sessions 1729
« on: Monday 17 July 23 18:37 BST (UK) »
The sessions are for Wakefield, 14 January 1729. The second line I think is
Recogn{ised}  {fforisfact}

but I'm not certain.

Then, I need a bit of help with the final two lines and the marginal note. I have:

Pleaded Maris Ffourness de Batley ad respo{??} in - 40
{Thomas} Ffourness  e Matheus Scatcherd {??} - 20

Also curious as to why these two have been put together, possibly connected in some way given the Ffourness surnames?

Not sure if the amount is pounds or shillings.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield Quarter sessions 1729
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 23 23:35 BST (UK) »
It's a list of recognizances - the amounts to be forfeited (forisfacta) if someone failed to return to court to answer charges or pay a debt.

In the 3rd entry, Tobias Fourness and Matthew Scatcherd have mainprised Mary Fourness of Batley. This is equivalent to standing bail for her, to ensure that she returned to court when required. The amounts are shillings, not pounds.

I don't know what the marginal note says. The middle one looks like Exon (for Exonerated?), so these notes may indicate whether the money was actually paid.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wakefield Quarter sessions 1729
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox for your insights, I would probaly not have appreciated the meaning of the entry otherwise. 
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.