Author Topic: Help finding Hannah Quate birth record  (Read 1087 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding Hannah Quate birth record
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hopefully in becomes unstuck in due course.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Grohls-wife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 27 August 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
I was hoping with the great success and teamwork of finding Hannah's death certificate and also her birth information (which I am very grateful for) could I ask another opinion and help for another family member? I'll give you a little background surrounding this family member as there were some revelations made during my search.

John Charleton 4th Dec 1884 - 7th September 1971
Born Cookstown Co. Tyrone to
Eliza Charleton
No father listed.

John seems to have been an illegitimate birth and took his mothers surname Charleton. Other research shows Eliza had given birth 2 years prior to a daughter Mary Agnes but my assumptions are she wasn't allowed to keep her as there are no other records of the child. John fortunately was allowed to be brought up by his mother Eliza although she didn't marry until John was 9 years old. According to family information his new stepfather did not accept John as his son and would often punish him and would not let him eat but Eliza would sneak him bread and put it under his pillow, she loved John very much. Eliza went on to have 2 daughters to her new husband (John Young). Sarah and Lena. What I discovered was that Lena was in fact born illegitimately also to Elizas sister (Rachel) and my assumptions are Lena was raised by Eliza as she was married. Such a sad story but also heart warming that Eliza stepped up to accept Lena as she may have been forced to give up her first daughter years before.

What I am hoping to find out is John's father. I know this is a long shot.
On John's first marriage certificate his father is listed as 'Alick Bradley' 'Carpenter'.
John remarried years later and his father is listed as William Charleton, who I assume is his Grandfather.

The handwriting on the marriage certificate makes me believe the name is Alick but I could be wrong. Is that short for Alexander? Any other information or help would be fantastic!

I can post this under Co. Tyrone if that is more appropriate, many thanks!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 August 23 08:03 BST (UK) »

John Charleton 4th Dec 1884 - 7th September 1971
Born Cookstown Co. Tyrone to
Eliza Charleton
No father listed.

Actually born at Coagh.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1884/02673/1984794.pdf
Coagh Registration District

https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/dungannon-upper/tamlaght/coagh/coagh/

I can post this under Co. Tyrone if that is more appropriate, many thanks!

Suggest you click on 'Report to moderator' and ask for your post to be moved and titled as a new thread on the Tyrone sub-board.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo