Author Topic: New Barracks, Limerick City - 1877  (Read 346 times)

Offline swholden. holden0

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Barracks, Limerick City - 1877
« on: Tuesday 18 July 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,  My Great Grandfather, John Buckley, was stationed at the New Barracks in Limerick City when he married Anne Rooney in 1877 at St Michaels Church. I am trying to find out which regiment(s) were stationed at the New Barracks at the time to enable me to locate his army records. I would appreciate any help that you can give. I have their marriage certificate which gives his occupation as 'Soldier' and this residence as New Barracks.  As far as I can tell he left the army sometime between 1877 and 1880 and he was then resident with his wife and first child at 19 Halls Range, Limerick City, which was close to the barracks.  I am aware that the New Barracks were later named Sarsfield Barracks following the creation of the Irish State.  Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Stephen Holden

Kind Regards

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Barracks, Limerick City - 1877
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
When in 1877?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 23:31 BST (UK) »
OK so it was February 1877.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/ac26122920927

90th Regiment was stationed in Limerick at that time. There were probably elements of other corps: artillery etc.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 July 23 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Shaun, thanks for your response, yes they married 13/2/1877. Would that be the 90th Regiment of foot and do you know where they originated from. John Buckley, to the best of my knowledge, was born in Stanton Suffolk. I am trying to work out how he ended up in the army in Limerick.

Thanks agsin

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 July 23 09:30 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just for anyone who might be interested.

New Barracks Limerick know known as Sarsfield Barracks.

From the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer.

MapGenie 25 Inch map    https://arcg.is/1iX0va

MapGenie 6 Inch First Edition Black map    https://arcg.is/0Lqnjv

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8014268

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 July 23 11:32 BST (UK) »
I see from this old Facebook thread that it seems likely that your John Buckley was the one born in Stanton, Suffolk circa 1855:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LimerickCityCitizens/posts/3074727572816729/

I can't see any surviving army records for him in online sources so in all probability he was discharged without going on to pension.

Possibly the only army records that may survive for him are the muster books and paylists at the National Archives. He was probably with 90th regiment. The 90th was sent to South Africa in January 1878 - perhaps he bought himself out to avoid that posting.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 July 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
Yes Shaun, that is the same one.  At the point when I posted on facebook I was of the belief that he was from Limerick City.  Since then I have done an Ancestry DNA test and discovered some close matches indicating the connection to Stanton in Suffolk.  I had always suspected that there was some connection but did not know what it was.  I have a 2nd or 3rd cousin whose great grandmother had a brother, John Brooks Buckley, who was born in 1855 in Stanton, Suffolk.  We could not find any trace of him beyond the 1871 Census but one of his brothers and family came to Nelson, Lancashire about 1876/78, where John Buckley and his family moved to about 1892.  We are fairly certain that he is the same John Buckley who married Anne Rooney in Limerick City but had no direct link between the two.  I was hoping that his Army records may have something to confirm the connection but did not know which regiment he was in when he was stationed at New Barracks.  So, thanks again for all your help.  I will pursue your suggestion and see what I can come up with.

Offline LimerickLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 21:48 BST (UK) »
1877 New Barracks Limerick

90th Regiment of Foot (Perthshire Volunteers(Light Infantry) OC Lt-Col Henry Wellington Palmer
82nd Regiment of Foot (The Prince of Wales, Volunteers)
5th (Prince Charlotte of Wales ) Dragoon Guards
87th Regiment of Foot (Royal Irish Fusiliers)
Depot Battalion (64th & 98th Regiments of Foot linked Battalion)
2nd Dragoon Guards
List not exhaustive.
Source; Images of Sarsfield Barracks Nosuch Publishing 2008