Author Topic: 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron - Lost Lancaster Bomber Crew  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
44 (Rhodesia) Squadron - Lost Lancaster Bomber Crew
« on: Tuesday 18 July 23 18:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching Sgt Wilfred Charles DIGBY who lost his life with the crew names below when their aircraft Lancaster Mk1 W4110 KM-K failed to return from operation flight on 13/14 May 1943.   

Crew: Lancaster I bomber W4110 of No. 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron piloted by 23-year-old Flying Officer William Rail, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve from Vumba, Southern Rhodesia was shot down by night fighter pilot Karl-Gustav Pfeiffer of IV/NJG 1 and crashed into the North Sea west of Den Helder, the Netherlands. The aircraft had been returning to RAF Waddington, Lincolnshire, England, after a raid on Pilzen, Czechoslovakia. All seven of the crew were killed and were later named on the Runnymede Memorial on Cooper's Hill in Runnymede, Surrey, England.

Pilot F/O. W.D. Rail 80131 RAF (Southern Rhodesia)
Flight engineer Sgt. N.K. Underwood 1000940 (Driffield, Yorkshire)
Navigator Sgt. A.T.C. Bromwich 1392030 (Fleet, Somerset)
Bomb aimer Sgt. W.C. Digby 1315999 (Nelson, Glamorgan)
Wo ag Sgt. R.C. Boardman 1028039 (Tyldesley, Lancashire)
Air gunner Sgt. R.S.A. Walker 1085432 (unknown)
Air gunner Sgt. G. Batty 1415510 (Swansea, Wales)

Prior to joining 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron at RAF Waddington, this crew was posted to South Africa for training under the "Joint Air Training Scheme," possibly about September 1942.  Back in the UK this crew was posted to Waddington from No1654 conversion unit on 9 March 1943. Sgt Digby was on his 12th operation with this crew when he lost his life. 

That is the extent of my knowledge. I would appreciate any help building background details on Sgt Digby and his fellow crew members.

PS I have copies of the Operations Record Book for the operations this crew carried out,
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron - Lost Lancaster Bomber Crew
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
Merthyr Express 22nd August 1942

HOME FROM AFRICA - During the weekend Sergt. Observer Wilfred C Digby, R.A.F., - son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Digby, Station Road, Nelson, arrived home on short leave after spending seven months in South Africa. Sergt. Digby , prior to joining the Forces, was an officer in the Nelson Company of the Home Guard, and was Chairman of Nelson and District Wheelers. He looks the picture of health and fitness, and was warmly welcomed by his numerous friends.

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
Merthyr Express 24th October 1953

WATCHED THE UNVEILING

Among the thousands of people at Runnymede on Saturday when the Queen unveiled a memorial to the 20,000 men of the Forces who have no known grave, were four from Nelson. They were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Digby, of Station Road, parents of Sgt. Observer Wilfred Digby, who was killed on an operational flight, and Sgt. Digby's brother and sister, Mr. Leonard Digby and Mrs. Amy Bowen.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 21:22 BST (UK) »
Wilfred Charles Digby was born on 29 Jan 1916at Nelson, Glamorgan to Charles Leonard Gwynne Digby (1876-1960) and Julia Wintle (1888-1971). He had two brothers Ronald Henry (1919-1920) and Leonard Gwynne (1913-1986), as well as two sisters, Irene Maud (1921-1995) and Amy Valerie (1921-2001).
On the 1939 Register, living at 13 Station Terrace, Nelson, he is described as a general mechanical engineering draughtsman.
He is commemorated on he Runnymede War Memorial, Part IV, Panel 147.

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 July 23 23:45 BST (UK) »
Richard Samuel August Walker b. Pontypridd in the March 1920 Qtr.

Parents were Alexander and Dorothy M (nee Clarke) Walker. There was a Henrietta E. born in the December 1921 Qtr, also at Pontypridd, who may have been a sibling.

Married Mary B. Goddard at Bedwellty in the June 1943 Qtr. No children.

DTD

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 July 23 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi DTD

Thanks for that.  There was no next of kin on CWGC site so you have done well there.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 July 23 09:17 BST (UK) »
As of yesterday, I have covered all Merthyr Express publications from his school days through to 1953.   

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 July 23 17:44 BST (UK) »
Where were they before No. 1654 Conversion Unit?

DTD

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 July 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi DTD

Sorry, other than South Africa, I don't know.  There are three similar photographs identifying Boardman, Batty and Digby on IBCC,  please see attached photo.