Author Topic: Jane Bishop – in Downton/Standlynch 1822 – but where was she before and after?  (Read 259 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
My 4 x great grandmother, Jane Bishop, was removed from Downton to Standlynch in February 1822 because she was “with child” and had become chargeable to the parish.

The daughter, Elizabeth (my 3 x great grandmother), was born on 13 May and baptised at Downton on 9 June.

Jane was examined by the petty sessions on 11 June and a bastardy order was made on 18 June.
The father was James Bishop [yes, same surname!] who had been held at Devizes New Prison since January 1822. He was described as a 40 year old labourer of Downton.

I have traced Elizabeth to Portsea, Hampshire from 1851 census until her death in 1881. [Where was she in 1841?] When she married in 1860 she said her father was “James Bishop, labourer”.

I have searched Ancestry, FindMyPast, Wilts & Swindon Archives, etc.  I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, BUT I JUST CANNOT FIND anything about Jane before or after 1822!

Any thoughts from folk with better knowledge of Wiltshire (geography/records/search techniques) would be greatly appreciated. 
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There's an Elizabeth Bishop about the right age b Wiltshire in Devizes Prison in 1841

(although there's a criminal register entry for an Elizabeth aged 23 convicted at the Wiltshire country sessions 29 June 1841 for larceny and given 8 months)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Many thanks for these.

I have seen this Elizabeth in Devizes Prison before. It does seem to be the the only likely result for age ASSUMING she stayed in Wiltshire and there's not another Elizabeth hidden by poor transcribing.

According to newspaper reports she was charged with stealing yarn in Trowbridge - is this too far from Downton? Perhaps not as she ended up in Portsea.

I'll have a trawl of the Trowbridge area for Jane, who is the main mystery.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Jane may be difficult as she may have married after 1822.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Indeed.

And - just as bad - I don't know how old she was in 1822. Or indeed if she came from Wiltshire.

Elizabeth's daughter (my 2x great grandmother Sarah) born in 1852 was also illegitimate - so this is a difficult line to pursue (to put it mildly!)
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop