Author Topic: Eliza Stewart and John McQuitty  (Read 202 times)

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Stewart and John McQuitty
« on: Thursday 20 July 23 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have had some fantastic help from this forum in the past so I hope someone might be able to help me with my latest mystery.

Eliza Stewart married John McQuitty I believe in Belfast about 1845. I have seen a hint for this on Ancestry but can't  find the actual record on Groni, Irish Genealogy or Roots. Their first child was Eliza  born 1846 was born in Belfast and died 1902 in New Zealand. She married John Newell in Belfast in 1867. Eliza McQuitty's  sister, Agnes married James Gordon who is my granny's uncle. Jame's mother was Maria Stewart (my 2 x great granny). Could Eliza and Maria be related? Could James Gordon have married some sort of cousin? Maria married Alexander Gordon in Ballyeastion in 1848.

Eliza Stewart McQuitty died in 1881 and is buried in an unmarked grave in City Cemetery Belfast as is John McQuitty.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Stewart and John McQuitty
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 July 23 17:02 BST (UK) »
There s this marriage in 1848, Ballyeaston
Alexander Gordon to Maria Logan
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09340/5381710.pdf

I don’t see one to Maria Stewart. Have I misunderstood?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mary Jane Craig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Stewart and John McQuitty
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 July 23 17:14 BST (UK) »
It is confusing Heywood. I am sure Maria Logan is Maria Stewart and that she used her stepfather's name, John Logan on her marriage cert. All her kids have Maria Stewart on their birth certs. I have searched and search for Maria Logan and Alexander but they don't appear anywhere else. Alexander was from Muckamore in Antrim where his parents are buried and the family lived in Dough Grange Ballyclare so it his the right area. I found the graves for John and Margaret Gordon and Maria Stewart in Mickamore buried together.