Author Topic: Newby of Barwick and Draughton  (Read 230 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newby of Barwick and Draughton
« on: Friday 21 July 23 08:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find information on the Family of Newby in Barwick (in Elmet) and Draughton (in Skipton), Yorkshire.

I'm trying to research the descendants of Eleanor Lowther, daughter of William Lowther of Ingleton. She was born & bap.at Ingleton 1613, and marr. William Newby (Nubye), called of Barwick, and of Draughton in Skipton. I think I have found William's bap. (as son of Richard) at Skipton 25/5/1614 & burial at Bingley 14/6/1635.

Eleanor apparently remarr. Henry Currer of Kildwick Hall, Craven (1587-1653) but I can find no marr. record (Ancestry has an Ellenor Currer, daughter of Henry Currer de Gathorppe, Gent. bap. Bingley 1648, bur. there 1650 who might be their child).

During there short marriage Eleanor and William had a son Richard Newby, educ. Burnsall school, co. Yorks., adm. St John’s Coll., Camb. (21 June 1651), and bap. Ingleton  24/9/1633.

However I'm stuck at this point. I can't identify anything else about Richard or his descendants.

There was a Charles Newby who 'sold part of a freehold at 13 High St, Skipton in 1682'. The Oxford Alumni states a Charles Newby or Nubey, admitted pens. at Peterhouse Cambridge 15 May 1677 aged 16, son of Richard, born 29/7/1660, education at Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Yorks. I think this is Richard's son.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newby of Barwick and Draughton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 23 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Boyds marriage index has her first marriage to William Newby as 1632.
She was of Ingleton.
possible son William s of William Nubie at Bingley 21.8.1636
Robert 9.2.1634 s of William at Skipton

Children of Henry Currer Skipton in Craven -no mother mentioned
Grace 10.12.1643 of Skipton
Henry 27 .6.1647 at Bingley
Eleanor 27.2.1748/9 Bingley
Katherine 17.4.1650 at Bingley
Marie 20.4.1651

There is a Marie 18.3.1635 ,William 30.5.1639 and  Grace 22.2.1642 d of Henry and Anne of Kildwick which would suggest Eleanor was his second wife married about 1644 or 1643
Anne buried 4.1.1644/3 w of Henry Currer at Kildwick

Henry married Anna Watkinson 16 June 1635 Kildwick by licence  agriculturer

Eleanor w of Henry Currer of Bingley buried 26.7.1662 at Bingley

No sign of  Eleanor's second marriage.
Richard Newby bapt at Ingleton 24 Sep 1633 son of Guliemi Newby Gent.
Burial there 12.11.1724 late of York  And possible wife Ellen buried st Mary Castlegate York 26.6.1654.

Ciderdrinker

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 23 13:59 BST (UK) »
I don't think I can help you very much with this, but I've checked some resources that I have to hand and can make a couple of observations:

During there short marriage Eleanor and William had a son Richard Newby, educ. Burnsall school, co. Yorks., adm. St John’s Coll., Camb. (21 June 1651), and bap. Ingleton  24/9/1633.

The Wharfegen site (http://www.wharfegen.org.uk/index.php) doesn't mention Richard, but it shows a son Robert baptised in Skipton on 9 Feb 1634/35. The omission of Richard may not be very significant, as the site is a work in progress, but you might want to follow up on Robert.

Ciderdrinker posted while I was typing, and has clearly added more on this. To add a bit more still, there's info on the Currers at Wharfegen, and also a pedigree in Whitaker's History of Craven (opposite p.152):

https://archive.org/details/historyantiquiti00whit/page/152/mode/2up

There was a Charles Newby who 'sold part of a freehold at 13 High St, Skipton in 1682'. The Oxford Alumni states a Charles Newby or Nubey, admitted pens. at Peterhouse Cambridge 15 May 1677 aged 16, son of Richard, born 29/7/1660, education at Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Yorks. I think this is Richard's son.

There's a mention of what appears to be this Charles in a pedigree in Familiae Minorum Gentium (Vol.3, p.1005). You can see this online at

https://archive.org/details/familiaeminorumg03hunt/page/1180/mode/2up

There are 4 volumes in all, with the overall name index at the end of Vol.4, should you want to explore further.

According to this pedigree, Charles had three siblings, but all died without issue. Their father Richard was son and heir of a William, but their mother was said to be Elizabeth Dand - this being a Dand family pedigree. Charles and one of his sisters were apparently named in the will of their aunt Rosamond Watson (née Dand), written in 1719. There's a bit more detail at the link I've given, with Rosamond being on the previous page.

I hope this helps, or is at least interesting. From this distance I'm not totally sure if it will make things clearer or more confused.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 July 23 23:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ciderdrinker and Arthurtk for all the great information you've posted. They have clarified and highlighted quite a few issues and directed me in other possible directions.
Apologies for the slight delay in replying but I wanted to pull a few things together from the info you sent to try and clarify Eleanor's marriages and children if possible.

So far I have Eleanor (b. Ingleton 1613), marr. 1st Ingleton 1632 William Newby of Barwick and Draughton, bap. Skipton 1614, bur. Bingley 1636, and had at least 3 children between 1632 & 1636 -

1. Richard Newby, bap. Ingleton 1633, from the Familiae Minorum he marr. before 1660 Elizabeth Dand (b. 1634), died before 1669 when she married interestingly William Mompwesson, rector Eyam, famous for isolating and protecting that village during the plague. Lots online about him. They would appear to have Charles who grad. from Peterhouse College, William, Elizabeth & Eleanor who all died without issue.

2. Robert Newby, bap. Skipton 1634-35. I found his burial at Bingley 30 March 1636

3. William Newby, bap. Bingley 31 Aug 1636. I have no further info on him.

Eleanor is then supposed to have marr. Henry Currer of Kildwick, and of Gawthorpe Hall, north of Bingley. West Yorks. (purchased by him from the Walkers c. 1645, till its sale in 1668 to Robert Benson, father of the first Lord of Bingley). Henry Currer dates are b. 1587, d. 1653-4 and he marr. Anne Wilkinson in 1635. I found Ann's burial at Kildwick 12 Nov. 1646 (the Anne Currer bur. 4 Jan. 1644-45 was her infant daughter), and there were the following baptism records after this date.

1. Henry Currer, bap. All Saints, Bingley 27 June 1647, son of Henry Currer, gent. borne att Draughton
2. Eleanor Currer, bap. Bingley 27 February 1648-49, bur. 5 February 1650-51  (dau. of Henery Currer de Gathorppe, Gent)
3. Katherine Currer, bap. Bingley 17 April 1650, bur. Bingley 29 December 1650  (dau. of Henery Currer de Gathorppe, Gent)
4. Marie Currer, bap. Bingley 20 April 1651  (dau. of Henery Currer de Gathorppe, Gent)
5. Elizabeth, bap. Bingley 10 April 1656  (dau. of Henery Currer de Gathorppe, Gent)

My feeling is that the Skipton Currer's were probably related but not this particular family.

My problem is that the Henry Currer (1587-1653-4) that Eleanor is supposed to marry is a lot older (26 years), and I wonder if she actually married a younger Henry Currer. There is a Henry Currer, son of William and Grace, bap. Kildwick 17 April 1614 who is nearer her in age.
However there is no marriage record to prove anything one way or the other!!

Ciderdrinker. You mentioned a burial - Eleanor w. of Henry Currer of Bingley buried 26.7.1662 at Bingley.

Do you know if the w. is for wife or widow. If she had married the elder Henry C. who died 1653-4, she would be the widow.

Could you possible do me a favour and check if the record says wife or widow?

Eleanor must have married Henry Currer between Nov. 1646 (Anne's death) and June 1647 (young Henry's bap.)

Many thanks again to both for all your help.

Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 July 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
Another source for the Currers, if you haven't already seen it, is Burke's Commoners, published in 1836 - Vol.3, p.94:

https://archive.org/details/genealogicalhera03burk/page/94/mode/2up

It goes into rather more detail than the chart in Whitaker - but it does say that Henry and Eleanor (née Lowther) had no children.

Have you looked into wills and marriage licences? These can often answer a lot of relationship queries where the parish registers appear to be inconclusive. Yorkshire ones are mostly indexed at FindMyPast, with original documents at the Borthwick Institute in York.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 July 23 23:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Arthurk.

I haven't looked in FindMyPast as yet. I only have Ancestry and there is no sign of a marriage for Henry & Eleanor.

However I had a breakthrough today. I found the probate for Eleanor's youngest son William Newby (bap. Bingley 21 August 1636). The will was dated 5 Oct. 1656, and the probate at London 3 Nov. 1658.

In it he left £500 to his nephew William Newby (presumably one of Richard's sons?), named as Executor, his loving cousin Mr Rowland Dand of Mannsfield Woodhouse, co. Nottingham (Father or brother of Richard's wife, Elizabeth And??), and as witnesses Richard Newby (elder brother?), Elianor Currer (mother?) and Elianor Walker (?cousin).

There is a burial for a Mr William Newby at St Saviour's, York, co. Yorks. 8 October 1658

I'm keen to find out who Eleanor Walker was. There was a supposed marriage between one of Eleanor's sister to a Mr Walker of Gawthorpe Hall, Bingley. But again no sign of this anywhere.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 July 23 20:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Arthurk.

I haven't looked in FindMyPast as yet. I only have Ancestry and there is no sign of a marriage for Henry & Eleanor.

However I had a breakthrough today. I found the probate for Eleanor's youngest son William Newby (bap. Bingley 21 August 1636). The will was dated 5 Oct. 1656, and the probate at London 3 Nov. 1658.

I'm keen to find out who Eleanor Walker was. There was a supposed marriage between one of Eleanor's sister to a Mr Walker of Gawthorpe Hall, Bingley. But again no sign of this anywhere.

Well done on finding that probate. I've been scanning through some offline sources that I have for wills proved in York, and came across quite a few Currers. Most of these sources are indexes on a CD-ROM that I bought some years ago from S&N, the company that runs Genfair and The Genealogist, and I think you'd be able to see them there too.

However, as they're quite old volumes, most or all are out of copyright and available to view and/or download for free if you know where to look. The easiest thing for me to offer you is a list on the Mediaeval Genealogy website - http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/sources/probate.shtml

The subheading for York(shire) is missing, but the York list is at the very bottom of the page and starts immediately after the entry for Wirksworth. One quick heads-up - the very bottom document contains an entry for the will of an Anthony Walker of Skipton, proved in 1655, with executor William Currer. This is a Somerset House will proved during the Commonwealth, when the church courts were suppressed, and I'm pretty sure you'd find it with the PCC wills at Ancestry.