Author Topic: HMHS Maine - how did she get to Korea?  (Read 248 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMHS Maine - how did she get to Korea?
« on: Friday 21 July 23 20:58 BST (UK) »
This is not, strictly speaking, a genealogy question, but as there are some knowledgeable people on here I thought I would give it a try.

I’ve recently obtained my fathers Royal Navy records - they took about three weeks to come through.

Most of the time he did not seem to be at sea - the majority of his career seems to have been spent in shore establishments or naval hospitals.

However, he did serve on HMHS Maine during the Korean War. I have a few photos taken during this period. He went to Rome, Malta, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sasebo in Japan along the way (or way back).

Is there any way of finding out the route the ship took, either there or on the way back?

He also seemed to have obtained discharge by purchase. I assume he bought himself out. It seems rather sad, his wife had disappeared to America with anither man at the time, maybe buying himself out of a promising Navy career (he’d reached the rank of Sick Berth Petty Officer by then) was a last ditch attempt to save his marriage.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HMHS Maine - how did she get to Korea?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
Your assumption is correct, Discharge by Purchase is exactly that. The member purchases his discharge; mine cost me £250 in 1972 with 4 years of a 9 year engagement remaining. I found the RN overbearing and class-ridden, left for Australia, joined the RAAF, served for 20 years and retired a Warrant Officer. The difference between both Services was night and day.

https://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/un/gbhms_maine.htm
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 23 21:02 BST (UK) »
Reference her route, until the log book is released to confirm it would probably of been close to, UK-Gibraltar- Malta-Port Said(Suez Canal)-Aden-Colombo-Singapore-Hong Kong. She was already in the area on the outbreak of the war and ferried casualties to Japan. In between these stops would of been a couple of different run ashore stops for the crew to unwind, would explain places like Rome(Civitavecchia).

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 August 23 09:02 BST (UK) »
Reference her route, until the log book is released to confirm it would probably of been close to, UK-Gibraltar- Malta-Port Said(Suez Canal)-Aden-Colombo-Singapore-Hong Kong. She was already in the area on the outbreak of the war and ferried casualties to Japan. In between these stops would of been a couple of different run ashore stops for the crew to unwind, would explain places like Rome(Civitavecchia).

Is there any indication of when the log book might be released? Where could I check?
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 August 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
I know Dad visited Rome. I have a picture of him and another chap next to a car whose registration plate started with CD - Dad said it stood for Corps Diplomatique, and written on the back "the chap would took us out for a day in Rome."

A bit more than a day out - they were taken to St Peters and presented to the then Pope, Pius XII. I still have the medal he was given. His memories of that were vivid.

He also mentioned Malta, Singapore (that may have been on the way back, he caught dysentery there. Hong Kong (he mentioned a business called Sam's Tailors). And definitely Japan, another picture taken in Sasebo. He brought so much stuff back from Japan - silk clothing, a puzzle box, a little black lacquer trinket box, and three tea sets. His sister got nylon stockings from somewhere - Hong Kong I think?