Author Topic: Thomas Joseph Hutchinson born 1915  (Read 254 times)

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Joseph Hutchinson born 1915
« on: Saturday 22 July 23 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,I wonder if someone can help me,I am looking for a possible marriage and children for Thomas Joseph Hutchinson born 19/5/1915 in Belfast to Thomas dealer Hutchinson and Catherine Gray,any help would be greatly appreciated,kind regards Dean

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Joseph Hutchinson born 1915
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 23 09:01 BST (UK) »
Firstly, his mum's maiden surname is recorded on the birth certificate as Ward. Where did you find the surname Gray?

If you think Thomas remained in what became Northern Ireland, have you checked the GRONI website for any possible marriage in the 1930s or 1940s? Any possible births in this timescale will not be available to search online. There are about half a dozen or so potential marriages in Belfast area alone, with more in other parts of NI.

Do you have any more clues/info on Thomas?

There are some 1970s newspaper items on a Thomas Joseph Hutchinson in Belfast (unfortunately involving criminal charges) , who was of right age for a c1915 birth, but that could be coincidence and a different chap (that Thomas is noted in one as having a foster child).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 July 23 09:30 BST (UK) »
You may have this already, his parents at 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Smithfield_Ward/Wilson/162985/

So the Gray children would indicate Catherine was previously married, and would have been Catherine Gray nee Ward. That said, not seeing the Thomas to Catherine marriage at moment, and the census appears to be blank in the year's married column, so despite being named as Catherine Hutchinson, wife,  perhaps there was no marriage between them.

Now found, with variation in his surname:

Marriage of
THOMAS HUTCHINSTON and CATHERINE WARD
on 19 February 1911

although correcly indexed under her maiden name, Ward, the record confirms she was Catherine Gray, a widow.

and her previous marriage (her father's name and her address match with those in marriage to Thomas):

Marriage of
TERENCE GRAY and CATHERINE WARD
on 10 September 1892

Terence looks to have died in 1909.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 July 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much scotsmum,yes I believe Catherine was married to Terence,who I believe died very young,aged 43,I know Thomas junior had a sister called Brigid,sometimes spelt brigit,who married a Charles Davey,it does not surprise me if my Thomas did have a few criminal offences against him,when I have been compiling this side of my family tree,several members have criminal convictions,they were extremely hard times

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 23 11:01 BST (UK) »
Birth of
BRIDGET HUTCHINSON on 02 February 1912
mmn Ward

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 July 23 12:10 BST (UK) »
....Catherine was married to Terence,who I believe died very young,aged 43....

As Scotmum said, Terence died in 1909 but he was aged 40 according to the informant J Townsend, who was from Belfast Asylum.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1909/05463/4529011.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 23 07:46 BST (UK) »

...I know Thomas junior had a sister called Brigid,sometimes spelt brigit,who married a Charles Davey...

From GRONI Online-
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Marriage
M/1938/B1/2333/29/6   Charles Davey to Brigid Hutchinson       26th December 1938         Belfast

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo