Author Topic: Alexander Baird - Wymess Fife - 1850  (Read 386 times)

Offline Morag43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Baird - Wymess Fife - 1850
« on: Sunday 23 July 23 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I’m new and trying to trace my family. I’m trying to find Alexander Baird (married to Anna Auchter), son: Gordon Cardwell Baird. What little I know is that he was born in 1850 and apparently in Wemyss, Fife, Scotland.

I’m also trying to figure out what Baird line he is descended from.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciate.

Tapadh leibh.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Baird - Wymess Fife - 1850
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 23 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Morag

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

In Alexander's 1900 census entry in New York, he states he was born in New York (February). This is the 1900 census entry www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSJW-4HD Lots of links on the r/h side to further records.

There is an Alexander Baird born c. 1850 in Wemyss. He married Jessie/Janet Beveridge in 1874 and was a blacksmith by trade. He remained in Scotland, at least up to 1901, as he is showing on the census in Scotland for that year.

I would suggest that next step would be to try to find early census entries for Alexander and his marriage to Anna to let you confirm his father/parents' details.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 23 21:37 BST (UK) »
One possibility for Alexander in earlier censuses here www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8JZ-QVR This is for 1870. As before, you can see also a number of links to other census years on the right.

Any document that confirms his parents' details will certainly help you to confirm his details.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 23 21:54 BST (UK) »
I think this might be Alexander's burial entry. The address on the burial register matches his address from the 1920 census (Oxford Street, Rochester, Monroe).

Alexander Baird, age 73
Death Date 5 Sep 1923
Burial Date 7 Sep 1923
Burial Place St. Paul's Church, Rochester, New York, USA

Added: There is also this entry for him www.findagrave.com/memorial/13928067/alexander-baird

Monica

Offline Morag43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 00:13 BST (UK) »
One possibility for Alexander in earlier censuses here www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8JZ-QVR This is for 1870. As before, you can see also a number of links to other census years on the right.

Any document that confirms his parents' details will certainly help you to confirm his details.

Monica

I wager that Alex was born in 1850 in NY but that his FATHER was married to Jessie.

Thanks so much for the lead! I’m pretty sure Alex was married to Anna but his mom was probably Jessie. It’s like a detective novel trying to hunt down the right Alexander Baird lol

Offline Morag43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 03:25 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that Alexander (d 1923) was the son of Jessie and Alexander the blacksmith? I’m having a tough time finding records of the marriage

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat as Monica has said the census records for Alexander Baird all say he was born in New York.
I would say this is his birth
Alexander Baird 19 Feb 1850
Baptism US Episcopal Diocese St Paul Rochester New York
Father John Baird Alice Baird ( Cardwell )
Census records for John Baird have his birth Scotland and Ireland for Alice

On all census records for the son Gordon Cardwell Baird his father is listed as being born in New York

Have not found a marriage yet for Alexander and Anna Auchter think it was sometime between the 1875 /1880 census ..You can check the links Monica has posted for census records

Rosie

Offline Morag43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat as Monica has said the census records for Alexander Baird all say he was born in New York.
I would say this is his birth
Alexander Baird 19 Feb 1850
Baptism US Episcopal Diocese St Paul Rochester New York
Father John Baird Alice Baird ( Cardwell )
Census records for John Baird have his birth Scotland and Ireland for Alice

On all census records for the son Gordon Cardwell Baird his father is listed as being born in New York

Have not found a marriage yet for Alexander and Anna Auchter think it was sometime between the 1875 /1880 census ..You can check the links Monica has posted for census records

Rosie

Thanks so much! I think I found John - it’s just tough tracing it back further than him. I’ve also noticed that Baird tends to be spelled as Beard in some records which confuses me.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 07:09 BST (UK) »
If you follow the census records back your Alexander Baird is on them from 1851 onwards
He is not the son of Alexander Baird and Jessie these two Alexanders are both born about 1850 .Might be worth looking for a marriage for John Baird and Alice Cardwell in Ireland I see their oldest son James was born in Ireland 1833 .I think this family emigrated 1835

Did you copy the information of the birth of Alexander's birth of someone's tree?

Rosie