Author Topic: Treloar puzzler  (Read 543 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Treloar puzzler
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 July 23 00:17 BST (UK) »

The lady mmn CRANE seems to have died in 1982 in Wandsworth which would fit with a new 1984 marriage.
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 July 23 09:08 BST (UK) »
Did Mary's probate offer any clues?

I don't know -- what I found was from the England & Wales Government Probate Death Index 1858-2019 -- the index doesn't go into any detail.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 July 23 09:31 BST (UK) »
A Mary Treloar returned to the UK in 1957 with two children, including an 1951 born son who at time had first name starting A, but could have been the 1951 birth on overseas index that had forenames L and A. They were travelling from Singapore and going to Petersfield, and Mary was noted as married. Given the Petersfield link, I would think it possible she was Mary Tidy.

Given Susan Crane was born in 1951, it seems quite plausible that rather than the 1920s born A chap, it could have been the 1951 born L. A., who may sometimes only have been known as A. that was married firstly to a Crane in 1972, becoming father of an L. A. in 1973. The 1973 chap looks to be still living and can clearly be seen in online sources to sometimes use L. A. and othertimes only A. Although plausible, obviously this would need checked further.

Where the tree on Ancestry got the 1929 birth and 1996 death of an A. or L. A.  is anyone's guess, as neither seem indexed under the name/s on GRO for those years. Is it possible that as  Mary's death was 1996, the tree owner mistakenly also added the date to her husband's record?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 July 23 10:09 BST (UK) »
Scotmum has summed up my thoughts too.   :)

Mary Violet C Treloar died July 1996 so that is likely to be the record in the tree.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 July 23 10:12 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the passenger list again, and realised it has recorded that the 1957 returning Mary Treloar was born 15 Jul 1929, the exact same date the Ancestry tree owner has allocated as being birth of A/L. A. Treloar.

Also, whilst I said she was travelling with two children,  I had had mis-read both as male , but on checking again, now see one was a daughter (same name as the UK 1948 daughter's birth mentioned in post one), which now confirms my belief she was possibly Mary Tidy.

Methinks the tree owner needs to re-visit their tree.

The 1927-2005 chap https://www.openarch.nl/ins:1e2066fe-0861-7ea9-4ce3-052b70faf55b/en

I take it, NooshieW, you are certain the Falmouth born chap is the same chap who married Mary Tidy? And for general info, albeit cannot guarantee accuracy of source, an example of the use of Lord as a forename, rather than a title:

https://www.thebump.com/b/lord-baby-name
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 July 23 13:47 BST (UK) »

And for general info, albeit cannot guarantee accuracy of source, an example of the use of Lord as a forename, rather than a title:

I would agree that Lord is more likely a forename and not a title.  The 1972 marriage, the "forname" was Lord and the subsequent child in 1973 also has Lord as a "forename". (children of Lords dont automatically become Lords) Prince or Princess doesn't appear on any of the Queen Elizabeth's children's Freebmd entry, or, indeed, her own. Lord could be a family name.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 July 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone , I am not positive that my Falmouth Aubrey Treloar is the man who married Mary Tidy. However, there are no other Aubrey Trelors born in that time period
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 00:11 BST (UK) »
Was it the previously mentioned daughter, "J", that you worked back from to get to Aubrey?  If so,  this might help:

In the 1962 Electoral Registers, Aubrey and Mary V.C. Treloar are residing at 12 Brook Green, Wokingham, Berkshire.

In 1965, there is a news article on the 18th birthday part of "J", (which should actually be her 17th), and it gives an address of Brook Green, Bracknell.  I believe Bracknell is in the Wokingham electoral district. (Source: Reading Evening Post 02 October 1965)  This article has a clear picture of her as well.

In 1967, with excellent photo, "J" 's marriage to a Taylor.  At this point, her parents, "Mr and Mrs Aubrey Treloar" are said to be living on Wokingham Road, Reading.

Also, in case it helps, there is this:
London Gazette, 12 Sept 1967 pg 9928
Notice of a meeting of creditors for Westree Wholesalers (Reading) Ltd, to be held at Caversham, Reading; notice put out out by the Secretary, Aubrey Treloar.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, how interesting. I think the only way to positively tie Aubrey to the Falmouth Aubrey would be the marriage certificate. With no other Aubreys born in the 1920's ,I am pretty sure it must be him ,but will have to firm it up. How did he end up in Berkshire? Why did he die in France? Things I may never know.
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford