Author Topic: Newspaper report of inquest 20/04/1929 WARREN death  (Read 305 times)

Offline Pandabeary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper report of inquest 20/04/1929 WARREN death
« on: Monday 24 July 23 04:05 BST (UK) »
I have a death certificate for John Warren who died in hospital in North Shields and it states that the coroner for South Northumberland, Philip M. Dodds, held an inquest on 20th April. I was just wondering please if there was any newspaper coverage of this in the North Shields newspaper?
Thank you!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper report of inquest 20/04/1929 WARREN death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 23 04:40 BST (UK) »
I can't see a report of the inquest, but this sounds like a death notice:

"suddenly at North Shields, on the 18th inst.,  John Warren, late of Montrose."
26 April 1929, Montrose Review

Modified to add:
Found a couple of reports of the inquest now - I don't have a subscription to findmypast, but they are available there:
22 April 1929, Blyth News and same date in the Shields Daily Gazette.

(from the snippets available - my transcription, probably needs checking with the original)
"the death in the Tynemouth Victoria Jubillee infirmary of John Warren (74), labourer of Upper Queen Street, North Shields, whilst under the effect of an anaesthetic was inquired into by Mr P. M. Dodds, coroner at North Shields on Saturday. Deceased was found to be suffering from acute intestinal obstruction, and an immediate operation was necessary. the anaesthetic was administered in the usual way by Dr Mary Hamilton, resident medical officer at the infirmary, and the operation had not been completed when the patient began to show signs of distress, became livid, and then ceased to breath, the cause of death being in the opinion of Dr Hamilton, asphyxia due to regurgitation of matter into the windpipe. A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence was returned."

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 July 23 08:26 BST (UK) »
Added: well done to Maddys52 for getting that without access to the actual article!

Blyth News 22 Apr 1929
page 5, col 7

DURING OPERATION
Inquiry Into North Shields Man's Death

The death, in the Tynemouth Victoria Jubilee Infirmary, of John Warren (74) a labourer of 33 Upper Queen Street, North Shields, whilst under effecr of an anaesthetic, was inquired into by Mr P.M. Dodds, coroner, at North Shields, on Saturday. Deceased was found to be suffering from acute intestinal obstruction, and an immediate operation was necessary,
The anaesthetic was administered in the usual way by Dr Mary Hamilton, resident medical officer at the Infirmary and the operation had not been completed when the patient beann to show signs of distress, became livid and then ceased to breathe, the cause of death being in the opinion of Dr Hamilton, asphyxia, due to reguritation of matter into the windpipe.
A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence was returned.

Exactly the same text in the report in the Shields Daily Gazette 22 Apr 1929 page 5 col 2

Bo

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 July 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo, fortunately the OCR on the articles was pretty good - not always the case!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 14:06 BST (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/257037039/john-warren?createdMemorial=Yes#view-photo=277067066

I have added John to Find A Grave with a photo of the article from an original newspaper - Shields Daily News 20 April 1929 (front page) at North Shields local studies.  I am posting as it will be out of copyright now.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Pandabeary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 July 23 01:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for the information, that's wonderful!