Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 30th July  (Read 1697 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 30th July
« on: Monday 24 July 23 07:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning folks
Hope everyone is feeling chipper this morning.

Weather not been so good here, went to look at a wedding on Saturday and it poured with rain, such a shame, today isn't looking so good either,  my fault  was practically praying  for rain for my garden!!

School holidays in this area, not many youngsters  here although  a family moved in along the road with children, might see them out, as long as they stay out of the road I will  feel happy

My daughters 30th anniversary today, for their birthdays they usually have the day off, not sure if they will today

Viktoria , hope all is going well with your sons move next door to you, you will  soon get back to having your house as you like it , he is near enough to be a help if you need it.

Looks like rain,  no washing out today,  what happened to our summer.

Take care folks

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 30th July
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 23 11:19 BST (UK) »
Good morning.
Washing dancing on the line ,sun blazing down,an easy tea organised and have arranged boiler service ,!
The recipe for tea sounds tasty.
A flan with ready rolled puff pastry.Put pastry on baking sheet.
Mark our a margin about one inch from the edge all round but don’t cut right through.
Spread with 3 sliced  softened red onions.
Add 500gms cherry tomatoes halved .
150gm pitted olives.
Sprinkle with 2t spoons Balsamic vinegar .
1 Tbl sugar.Sprinkle of salt and 1Tbl spoon Italian seasoning .( I have that but wonder if it meand Italian herbs, either way it sounds a lot )

Oven 190 fan C/ 210 C  gas 6 1/2. 20 mins.

Fry onions in oil ‘til soft.
After 5 mins add sugar and salt.
After another 5 mins add Italian seasoning and vinegar, gently cook fit 5 mins more.
Cool.
Spread onions mix over pastry leaving the border clear.
Top with tomatoes and olives .
Paint border with egg wash but milk is ok.
Supposed to be served sprinkled with fresh parsley and grated lemon zest .
Not tried it myself yet but it does sound good and a lot can be done in advance.
A nice bag   of Italian salad mix would go well.

Ooooer- big black clouds!
Ooooh sooo much washing on the line too!
 >:(
Not up to what is happening world wide  as yet, sick of tennis ,does it have to be on both BBC channels ?
 Don’t know if the grunters and groaners are at it but it is so annoying.

Not much news, daughter phones this evening ,so will update me.
Had a nice chat with F.H. ‘S daddy.
Baby ……?….Kyra is resisting potty training ,a very determined little tot, so her Mummy has left it as Kyra is wick enough to see it as a weapon to get her own way .
Some nice new clothes have been put away for  when she does not need nappies,she knows this .
It was not a punishment but some little panties ,all lacy ,part of a set with a dress to match won’t go over a nappy .
So mummy puts them on her ,or tries to ,then takes the nappy off and yes they fit , but put a nappy on and they don’t fit ,so back in the drawer.
“ Never mind ,you can wear those when you don’t need a nappy anymore can’t you. “
 No frustration etc.Just an idea planted and Kyra will make her own mind up.
She will come round eventually ,well I hope so!
It will be good ,such determination when she is older and striving to get qualifications etc .
Very like my daughter, who had a goal and reached it.
Awkward if not managed when they are young but invaluable when older.

Must go out to look at the sky , re clouds, they come from S,E.
Years ago they came from N.E ,over Holcombe Hill. 
Wonder why the change.
Hope all are well .
Cheerio for now.
Viktoria.

P.S.
Just listening to the Radio. A representative of Yorkshire Water  was explaining how difficult things could be with so many complaints re leaks etc etc etc,
In fact it was “ very frustrating and quite draining!”
V.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 15:07 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon everyone
Better weather today,  this time it is me  that  has washing on the line but it hasn't danced yet Viktoria

I was having a really good day till I received  my credit card statement, I AM FURIOUS,  a genealogy company  I took out a sub for last year after being  badgered  by them has had the cheek to renew my sub to the tune of £229, I am not happy, tried their chat line which in my opinion isn't customer friendly,  these companies don't make life easy, do they?, I have to wait an email apparently.

Well once again it is the church fayre, some old thing  I suppose, I have the jewellery  stall and white elephant this time, it is jolly hard work now but we do have someone to put the tables up for us, that is quite a job now, all we want is reasonable weather and money coming in.

Viktoria, your recipe sounds nice.

When our daughter was rising 2 we used to put her potty on a little chair, didn't need much persuading,  just reminded her from time to time and praised her everytime it was used, night time it took longer but all children are different, it is a game of patience.

Everyone is quiet this week.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 15:42 BST (UK) »
A nice sunny morning but overcast now, however got two loads of washing on the line .
Homeserve called as one switch I had reported a switch getting very hot.
There are three switches on one mount.
Dimmer switches,controlling the lights over the work surfaces, under the wall units, and one over the table .
It was a loose connection the electrician said ,should be O.K ,we will see.

I don’t understand modern bulbs etc ,no idea about them.
I need brighter lights in the bathroom ,but no idea if the fitting will take brighter bulbs.
Dusting this morning ,I moved a big vase of lilies —- yes pollen on a cream linen shade!
Thought it needed a light touch to remove it ,so got one of my very soft artists brushes and yes! It did the job.
At church once removing dead lilies from the altar as it was my turn ,I got pollen on my sleeve , another lady said - “wait ,do not touch it “ went to the vestry, came back with sellotape and just touched the pollen with the sticky side and it mostly came away, one more go and it had all gone
The scent  of these lilies is very heavy. A neighbour brought them as she was going away and did not want to waste them so brought them across to me.
I thought I had died but did not know it!  :P

Hope all are well.

I was a bit angry yesterday, a programme on TV and the asking price for one footballer was forty three million somethings!
Then another with children losing limbs to mines etc somewhere in Asia, a little three year old was saying how he would shoot those who had hurt him.
But no health care as such ,such poverty ,no connection really but the obscene amount for one footballer shocked me .

Son has a choice for the evening meal, mussels and chips so he can pretend we are back in Belgium or a steak so he can pretend again re Belgium.
I don’t eat steak but my O.H used to say he never had a tough steak in Belgium.

Well must see how second load of washing is drying ,then ironing.
Cheerio.look after yourselves .
Viktoria.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 17:26 BST (UK) »
Rain, rain go away, come back another day - after my roof has been repaired!   

I haven't been able to get a roofer/builder to come and give me a quote so appealed to the local authority housing officer to see what she could suggest.   I was pleased when she said she might be able to organise a builder - but instead I received a 'phone call from a young council worker asking about my income.  It seems that pensions we've paid for are "benefits".   I took the old age pensioner hump (annoyed & exasperated) and put the phone down.

Yesterday I started sorting through old paperwork and I'm still sorting through it today.  I kept wondering whether to keep certain bits of paper, in the event an offspring/grandson might want to get an idea of our 20th century lives on this earth.   How I wish I was receiving the same billing for my heat and lighting use as I did in the 1960s of £4 per quarter (of a year), and not the £650 per month that it is nowadays.   I remember being grateful when I received the invoice from "English Electric Co. Ltd", who supplied my new washer/spin dryer-  It had travelled to the AFCENT/NATO quarters where we lived near Paris from Lincolnshire and hadn't travelled well. I had written to the company asking what could be wrong with my new machine.  The bill totalled £0. together with some units and an explanation of why and how to fit the pieces so that my twin tub worked again.  My OH worked in Paris but we lived above a barn in a little village called Thomery.  I soon learnt not to switch two electrical  units on at the same time.  I could either listen to the radio or switch on the vacuum but I couldn't do both because the electricity supply would be cut offl which meant me having to traipse down a couple of flights of stairs , cross the yard and throw the master switch which was in the other barn that housed the seasonal grapes and the chickens.

Well, it's time I returned to sorting out my memory box.

Cheers, Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 18:20 BST (UK) »
I can't believe that it is SO cold at the end of July?  But then this in England, I suppose  :-\

I'm currently wearing a fleece, cheap I know, plus tracksuit bottoms and socks.  Earlier in the week I also wore a thermal long-sleeved vest under all this.   Can we please have some warmer, summery, weather - but then we'll have the cry of "ohhh it's too hot."  :-\ :-\

I'm almost tempted to put the central heating on  :-\ :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 18:22 BST (UK) »
Evening all
Well I’m all out of kilter with it being the school holidays. Had forgotten we’d have started a new week.
School holidays didn’t last long though - family landed yesterday afternoon as rain had stopped their fun at the park, so they had the dolls and the Lego out here. Lounge was covered!
Today we had sun and cloud but no rain, so have cut the grass, pruned a conifer and washed the car! Hoping we’ll have some more dry days so I can do the rest of the gardening tasks.
North East of England

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
I can't believe that it is SO cold at the end of July?  But then this in England, I suppose  :-\

I'm currently wearing a fleece, cheap I know, plus tracksuit bottoms and socks.  Earlier in the week I also wore a thermal long-sleeved vest under all this.   Can we please have some warmer, summery, weather - but then we'll have the cry of "ohhh it's too hot."  :-\ :-\

I'm almost tempted to put the central heating on  :-\ :-\

You can come here if you want some hot weather - going to feel like 40 tomorrow and 41 on Friday.  Thank goodness for air conditioning.  I am longing for October.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 19:34 BST (UK) »
Packing my case  as I type
LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London